"Leaper" hood ornament

I just spent a week in Rome, where I saw many Jaguars. I have an S-type here in the US, and it has a "leaper" hood ornament. Most of the S-types I saw in Italy didn't have one, and looking at Jaguar's website it seems as though they only put these on the US cars. Does anyone know why this is?

Reply to
KeybdWizrd

As I recall there's an EU legislation issue re: the leaper. It can't be spring loaded sufficiently to break away in a pedestrian accident easily. So, while for example, the MB star will just flop over if you push on it, but the leaper could impale someone, even when spring loaded like the US version.

Ok, but now here's the truth of the matter: Jaguar UK-types think the leaper is gauche and prefer the cars without them. Before the Ford purchase, despite pressure from the US management and its dealers, for years the XJ was shipped to the US without the leaper on the hood. UK manageemnt resisted any and all attempts to have one affixed, using all kinds of BS, subterfuge etc. However, it just so happened that Jaguar Cars, Inc. (the US organization) sold a nice leaper paperweight through its parts operations. "Enterprising" dealers & customers would buy the paperweight, remove the leaper from its wooden base, drill a hole in the hood and bolt on the leaper! So, if you see a pre-'95 XJ, or even an XJS running around the US (or any market for that matter) with a leaper on the hood, it's likely that leaper started life as a paperweight.

Now, the funny part. When Ford bought the Company the issue, which had become quite heated over the years, was taken to the new Ford management team for resolution. The UK management was certain Ford would put a stop to all that the leaper silliness over in the Colonies. Instead, the UK was told to "make it work", mostly becuase the US Ford brass' wives wanted leapers on their Jaguars. Thus, starting with the X300 ('95 m.y. XJ) nearly all US-bound Jag sedans are leaper-equipped. Plus, after years of trying, the UK was forced to agree on an accessory leaper to be sold through Jaguar Cars North America parts ops to US dealers. The Broits claim Sir William is rolling over in his grave over the entire matter!

Reply to
Jerry McG

Thank you for this very thorough answer, and wealth of information!

Michael W. Chicago, IL, USA

Reply to
KeybdWizrd

Hahahahaha!

When I first saw my brother's 1990 Sovereign in Toronto I asked him what happened to the jaguar on the front hood.

He said the kids/vandals break 'em off and steal them, and that's why you'll never see a jaguar car in Toronto with the hood ornament on it after it's about 6 months old.

Anyhow - I'm much happier driving the thing with a flat emblem mounted rather than a chromy knob sticking up in my field of vision. I'm not in the habit of impaling pedestrians so the safety aspect is not my concern.

- Tom

Reply to
Oldbie

Dont laugh too loudly on this. There is European legislation pending that will mandate all cars have pedestrian friendly front ends that are high and cushioned with cruple zones. I'm not sure when it goes into effect, but when it does, all cars sold in europe are going to get ugly. Imagine, a Ferrari with a 34 inch high front fascia.

Reply to
Hey Now!

Yeah bizarre isnt it - as far as the Jag leaper goes you CAN still have one but it has to be about two thrids of the way up the bonnet so looks ridiculous......Also 4xwheel drives will no longer be able to have 'bull bars' at the front....

Reply to
v56k

I, an American, would be more likely to buy a Jaguar without the hood ornament.

Reply to
John F. Carr

While the French probably figure the Brits don't know shit about what gauche is.

I, OTOH, like the leaping kitty ...

-- C.R. Krieger '02 X-Type 3.0 sport (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Personally, I think it depends very much on the car.....and on modern ones with long, flat bonnets it looks a bit ridiculous. It is particularly out of place on XJSs and XK8s in my book, but then sporting Jaguars never carried them anyway.

If you must have one in the uk, Racing Green Cars sells a German TUV-approved version which might just be legal here -

David Betts ( snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk) The Classic Car Gallery:
830847103&n98038677

Reply to
David Betts

Ah... now I see why it cost me $400.00 (Canadian) to put a Leaper on my US version VDP.

Regards

Richard

Reply to
Richard Short

I have seen some of the goofiest designs created in lowering pedestrian injury, and I have not seen one that was effective without looking silly or destroying aerodynamics. I propose an external airbag in the form of a catchers mit. This mit would deploy and catch those sneaky walkers without them ruining your fresh wax finish or impaling themselves "On that Gauche, Colonial, evil leaper". And consider how that mit could deploy and cushion the impact of the car you crash into. =)

Sorry Jerry, that Colonial statement is simply more outdated and more traditional then the leaper itself. Irony.

I have also heard the paperweight story and it makes sense. Then I saw Ford leapers and realized that here was the model for the Jag leaper. Perhaps a Jag owner simply did not want to be outdone. Whoa! See for yourself:

Prove it! ;-)

Seriously though, the truth of the Mascot origins might surprize readers. It was out of need.

Early cars that were liquid cooled typically used no water pump, circulation was performed from the water "perculating" up from the head and then dumping into the top tank of the radiator. See the angled water outlet from engine to radiator:

This setup caused the water to boil, making steam. So when you see an old movie and steam is pouring out of the radiator, that was normal, that's how those things ran. Eventually the driver would have to stop and remove the cap to add water, sometimes getting a nasty burn from the hot cap. Someone added a loop to the top of the cap to safely remove it and thus began the era of the "mascot". After a few years someone designed a cap that incorporated a water lever indicator sparing the driver a needless inspection.

Time and technology moved on but the love affair with the mascot remains. Here in the states the fancy caps indicated an expensive car designed for those of higher social/income status. So in short, adding the leaper in the states is a complement to Sir William, it symbolicly raised the status of the car in the States.

Regards,

Blake Dodson "Dont pet my kitty, I bite." BTW: I am still wiping the puke off my chin after seeing a XK8 with a leaper.

Reply to
DieInterim

Until '82 the XJ-S had neither a Leaper nor a Growler. I've seen Leapers on XJ-S'es...they look like shit. (The Growler is OK but the early bonnets which are pristine look the best, IMHO.)

Reply to
bill

I like the leaper on my XJ40 and it looks good there, but the one on the X Series is pretty silly looking.

I would never have one on my E as it would detract from the smooth lines.

The XJS as a sporting auto needent have one.

The growler is ok though. Richard H. Kuschel "I canna change the law of physics."-----Scotty

Reply to
Richard Kuschel