Removing W210 steering wheel

My turn stalk has come loose/broken. I expect I will need to remove my steering wheel to get to it. How does the steering wheel cover come off? I tried to gently pry the cover but no luck.

Thanks.

Reply to
news

Mercedes has service manual for W210 available for purchase... so I think it is time for you to invest in one.

Reply to
Tiger

Nice response! Maybe you should invest in a manual about graciousness.

Reply to
news

Nice response! Maybe you should invest in a manual about graciousness.

Reply to
news

Hey, you should see how much assistance Tiger gives.

The reason of his response is most probably (I can only guess), that although the physical removal of the steering wheel is quite simple, it contains airbag. Consequently safety precautions must be strictly observed, i.e. battery must be disconnected and a certain procedure must be followed to engage/reset functions after connecting the battery again.

And for that, you need the manual (and/or fx. Alldata subscription).

Reply to
Jens

The price of the manual will save you a ton of money. I only suggest it because I have never removed a steering wheel on any car... I once tried to do it on my 380SE with a breaker bar... no go... but then again, I didn't need to remove the steering wheel to do the job I wanted to do.

Having a manual helps you figure out how to take it apart without destroying other parts to replace the stalk is important.

Reply to
Tiger

When we decommissioned an air-bagged steering wheel from our driving simulator, it required the fire dept to do it. Hey, its an explosive! Over in the next town they manufacture them and they have fires and explosions about once a year. Be careful, be very careful, it is not your father's steering wheel.

Chip

Reply to
Chip

Tiger wrote: . I once tried to

Really? I took off a '81 380 SL steering wheel in about 10 min without any guide. A very few gentle tugs to remove the horn cover, four easy to see bolts and undo the horn wire. Then one big bolt in the center with an Allan wrench and slide right off.

Newer ones with lots of electronics and air bag, I leave to the pros.

Chip

Reply to
Chip

Anyway, if you are still with us:

I'm not sure for your specific car, but the general procedure is as follows:

  1. Remove negative battery terminal to make sure, that air bag is not triggered.

  1. Remove steering wheel cover by removing the two Allen bolts (use long Allen keys) behind the steering wheel.

  2. Remove airbag

  1. Remove centre bolt from steering wheel/shaft

  2. Remove the steering wheel (note its position for the reinstallation)

That's it. But be careful when handling the airbag.

And then comes the dismantling of the steering column. Again, it's worth investing in some kind of manual.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jens

I don't know... Is the thread a reverse thread? Yeah, pop the center cap off and then an allen bolt... I had a 18" 1/2" breaker bad on it... counterclockwise... nope... won't budge... I didn't want to break my steering lock so I just stopped.

Like I said, I didn't need to remove the steering wheel to fix what I wanted to do.

Reply to
Tiger