Removing Moandeo Steering Wheel

The leather trim on my steering wheel has started to wear badly, so I'm considering a visit to my local car breaker for a replacement.

How easy is it to remove a 1995 Moandeo MkI V6 steering wheel fitted with a driver's airbag?

How do I ensure I don't damage the airbag assembly? I guess the first trick is to disconnect the battery (or pull a fuse).

Will I need a puller to get the wheel off the steering column shaft? I assume it's a splined taper fit?

TIA

Reply to
mlv

I have a scrap '94 2.0GLX at the moment and I took the wheel off last weekend to steal the clock-spring. The airbag is held on by 2 torx screws. There's 2 rows of 3 holes in the back of the wheel and the screws are in the middle one of each row. The outer ones must be decoys!

Haynes says to disconnect the battery and wait for 15 minutes. Also, try to make sure there's always room for the bag to go off without hitting anything - especially any bits of yourself. Don't touch the terminals after you've unplugged the bag, and always put it down facing upwards - if it goes off facing down, it'll go for bloody miles. For a laugh, I set mine off, and it was a bit of an eye-opener - surprisingly violent for the size. Since seeing it, I've decided I'm definitely not going to have any car accidents.

The wheel on mine just fell off once I'd undone the nut. The taper is quite steep. I can't imagine the wheel getting stuck on

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

disconnect the battery for several hours, just to be on the safe side make sure you are able to turn the steering wheel as you need to access the

2 screws in the back on either side undo them unclip the centre of the wheel the airbag has a little yellow wire on it so pull that off as well then you can undo the 22mm/24mm nut in the middle make sure it's still on some threads when you bang the back of the wheel to dislodge it otherwise it will fly up and break your nose :-) don't hammer the centre of the column as some people do, this will cause problems later on in life
Reply to
dojj

I asked:

Thanks for the helpful info and warnings guys.

I hope scrapyard man has already disconnected the battery - I don't want to sit in his yard for several hours before I can remove the airbag assembly :-)

Reply to
mlv