replacing glow plugs

I own a 79 turbo diesel 300SD. Could someone tell me how many glow plugs are there and what do I need to watch out for when I replace them? Thanks.

Reply to
pastoralan

FIVE glow plugs, one for each cylinder. You'll see them on the driver's side of the cylinder head, there's a wire connected to each of them.

Buy Bosch or Beru brand replacements each costs about $9 as I recall.

Tools are needed: a wrench to turn the glow plug in and out and a small wrench, preferably a very small socket (to not drop and lose) to remove the nut that attaches the wire to the plug.

The glow plugs screw out like spark plugs. Carbon will cause some binding as they come out. Before installing the new glow plug twirl a 1/4 inch metal drill in each hole, just with your fingers, to cut the carbon deposits or the new plug won't go into the cavity.

Some are easy and others, especially the one behind the oil filter are difficult to access.

Wear double latex gloves because there are lots of edges that will scrape your hands.

DIY owner will need two to three hours to do this the first time.

Be sure all the nuts that attach the wires are snug or the Glow Plug Lamp will soon be flashing!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Quick question: I've heard that an anti-sieze compound should be used on glow plugs. Is this the case? The reason I ask is that my neighbor had the plugs completely seized on his '95 and had to get the head replaced.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

This poster has a '79 617 engine which has a cast iron cylinder head. The '95 engine may have an aluminum cylinderhead and that may be the reason for the anti seize compound on the brass glow plug threads vs. the aluminum head.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach