Should I buy a C240 "03 wagon?

I know you are all mercedes enthusiasts but looking for some relatively objective advice. I can buy a new '03 wagon for about $11,000 below cost (CDN $$) from a dealer who is trying to get this car off his lot. I have driven Volvo for years and am fed up with the endless problems and maintenance.

Anything I shd be cautioned about with this Mercedes? Is it a maintenance hog- even under warranty? How will it do after 100,000km or after 4 yrs?

Thanks in advance. Seems like a good deal= too good to be true?

Reply to
deborah nixon

The 03 version is in actual fact the "third" generation C class W203. It has most of its bugs worked out with technology. As far as service goes, it seems fine. Hard to say down here since we dont have snow.

Reply to
Miro

As you noticed when you posted in another discussion, not everyone is an "enthusiast". Some are heavy critics. The problem is that no car is perfect (sorry to state the obvious).

I have been driving Mercs of one sort or another for 20 years and find them even now (especially now) a pleasure to drive and not too bad to maintain.

In North America you seem to have strong 'lemon laws' (also in Canada?) and good warranties, so the risk on a new car is low. With the car you are looking at you'll have a star on the bonnet/hood and that really affects the view from inside. With a Volvo, BMW etc the view is the same, but with a Merc you get that sight that helps you find your way...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

if you want the most reliable car with the least maintenance and cheap to fix, buy a honda. but then a honda does not have the prestige of a Mercedes. I do not personally own any german variety but my brother in law does and he said bare minimum is an E class. C class are junk by mercedes old standard.

Reply to
J Oat

If you can buy a new one for $11k below cost, final price should be in the upper $20k range, correct ?

For that price, it is a bargain.

More reliable and all around better vehicle than the Volvo V-70 (let alone the V40...)

I've thought about a Cwagon, but it is too small for our needs (3rd seat), so we stay with our W124 wagon for another yr or 2....

C class is not as good as the E class. Bear in mind that the C is designed to compete with the likes of Volvo C/V40-70 series, BMW 3series, Saab 9-03 series.

Eclass is designed to go head to head with Lexus, Infiniti and BMW 5 series. A different class of car entirely.

Best,

Ross

Reply to
John Doe

Deborah,

Whilst I wouldn't use quite such strong terms as J Oat, I would agree and say that the e-class is MB's bread and butter car which they have to get right and usually do. I owned a new c-class, very nice car, only had it a year but could see many corners had been cut in it's 'execution'.

I also therefore strongly disagree with the other poster who claimed that the c-class in Germany is nicknamed 'tough' (or something like that) - I think you'd have to have gone on a 10week intensive MB brainwashing course to come out thinking or believing that !

The C-class cars also depreciate a great deal.

I would also question (though I am not from The States) why any car needs to be discounted so heavily just to 'shift it' ??

My advice to you is, don't be blinded by that 3 pointed star - it doesn't mean what it used to mean. There are a lot of brainwashed, blinkered people out there who still think that the Mercedes of today are some special breed of car that no other quality German manufacturer can match - it simply isn't true and you'd do well to take a good look at BMW, Audi, and VW (yes, even VW who in my experience make a better quality product than Mercedes do). Just do that if only to help confirm that you should buy an MB (if nothing else).

Good luck and have fun !!

P.S. This isn't from someone who is bitter and twisted after some bad experience with the MB brand - I would own another one, only not a new one but most possibly one that's a fair bit old !

Reply to
Tosher

Basically you are telling her to buy any car she likes. Hae you driven an American car lately ....... the C-class is no oil rag compared to those.

Reply to
Miro

"J Oat" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

All modern Mercedes are junk by the old standard!

The question is, does Mercedes currently make a car thats worth a shit??!!

Reply to
George Mann

Pay attention people! $11,000 CDN is only what about $8,000 American, so that sounds like a reasonable amount (10%) for a getting an old car off of the lot.

I feel sorry for you. Nice concept, poor execution.

Seems a lot of complaints are about the electronic frippery. The less frippery, the better. You don't hear about rust, engines blowing etc. But then again, wasn't that what the Volvo was about?

Not to good to be true if the dealership has 04's on the lot with a higher sticker and more (profitable) content to it.

The C-wagon is a great idea, a nice-sized sporty family vehicle (for a small family, both in posture and membership!) or a second vehicle.

I still don't understand why Lexus/Infiniti/Acura haven't moved in with a cheaper, more reliable, and less statusy version (no the Lexus Sport Cross isn't quite a competitor, but getting close).

Reply to
GT

Basically, I don't think you can read.

Yes, and the BMW, Audi, VW offerings are also worth considering before spending one's hard earned cash.

That was the advice - read it.

P.S. The c-class probably isn't an oil rag compared to 'an american car' (by which I take to mean *any* american car ??) but is it value for money considering the point being made ?? Of course I don't think so.

Reply to
Tosher