Should I buy a hail damaged maxima?

Hi,

A local dealer is selling hail damaged 2004 Maxima SE $6000 below MSRP. These are repaired cars, and it seems that they have done a good job in repairing all the dents. Is it a good idea to buy a hail damaged car? I don't want to end up with a $22000 mistake. Also, do you think $6000 below MSRP is reasonable price for these types of cars? How musch do the dealers usually pay to the manufacturer for hail damaged cars?

I would appreciate any input in this matter.

Thanks in advance,

Ashi

Reply to
Ashi

Before buying ask the dealer for before pictures. That way you will know what type of hail damage it suffered. But, $6,000 off isn't a bad deal period IMO

Reply to
Brian

My only concern is if the title had some kind of salvage status. Otherwise, if it looks good, I'd jump at it.

Reply to
Larry Davick

How long do you plan on keeping it? The insurance companies sell the information that the car has been damaged and if you try to trade/sell it in, it will show up as a damaged/wrecked vehicle and they'll beat you up on the price. I guess the insurance comapnies can't resist making money at our expence? And the insurance companies wonder why people want "devaluation" payments when people's cars are wrecked?

Reply to
Steve

Go for it... if it looks good repaired and drives like new. Make sure they didn't drill too many holes (they will have little rubber plugs) when they were popping the dents out.

Reply to
Bob

A lot of these cars wound up here in Ottawa. They practically raced off the dealers lots. I think a $6000.00 is definitely in the right direction. Here in Ottawa, some dealers didn't even fix them, just sold them with dents.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Thank you so much for all your responses. Unfortunately, they don't have the pictures of the car before repair. However, this dealer has bought 100+ hail damaged cars from Tennessee, and they had a few still unrepaired on the lot. Some small dents and a few blemishes on the paint, that's all I could see. I do plan to keep the car at least up to 80000 (that's what I usually do). I asked about the title, and the salesperson says that the title will be clean (no salvage status).

Thanks,

Ashi

Reply to
Ashi