Should I buy a IS 300

I just sold my Volvo 850 and need to replace it. I am tired of the reliability issues with Volvo/BMW/Mercedes and seem to hear good things about Lexus.

Is the Lexus IS300 a more reliable car then most European imports?

Reply to
GregZ

Short answer is yes.

the engine in the IS300 is toyota's most bulletproof engine to date, the 2JZ series.

Reply to
NYLexSC

Probably true, but the current new models are the IS250 and the IS350

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

The IS series Lexus cars have very stiff suspensions and what to me is a harsh ride. Coming from a Volvo, I would think you would prefer a Lexus ES, GS, or LS.

Reply to
Me

My 2002 IS300 now has approximately 40,000 miles on the odometer, and I have experienced only one issue worth mentioning to you. The only minor complaint is that the original Bridgestone Potenza tires didn't wear even on the front. The inside edges wore faster--due to the factory toe and camber settings on the car. I had a four-wheel alignment performed at the same time I put my second set of tires on and they have worn properly to date. I went with Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S Ultra High Performance All-Season tires as my replacements, and I simply could not be any more satisfied. They have been quieter, smoother and are wearing better than the Bridgestones that came on the car.

The inline 6-cylinder engine, known as the 2JZGE, is silky smooth. Very little vibration, decent performance, and extremely reliable when properly maintained. I still haven't experienced any rattles, squeaks or electrical problems with my car, and I personally believe that the overall build quality is superb. Also, a couple of years ago I read where the IS300 was rated the safest in its class, as well as the most reliable. Although there are countless numbers of positives for these cars that I can cite, I do feel as though I should mention some of the most common complaints. Here they are:

-Prop rod for supporting the opened hood instead of gas struts

-Space-invading gooseneck-style trunk hinges

-No oil pressure gauge

-MPG gauge that isn't very useful at all. Needle floats all over the place.

-Small rear seat according to many people

-Boy racer image due to Alteeza/Euro tail lights, drilled, aluminum, racing pedals and other styling accents

-Automatic transmission version has shift points that are too close and high gear isn't 'high' enough--which in turn contributes to the next common complaint

-Poor fuel economy

-Requires premium unleaded fuel--although there will always be owners that won't adhere to this particular recommendation from Lexus/Toyota Motor Co.

-Interior materials and styling/coordination not up to typical Lexus standards

With all this said, I would STILL purchase an IS300 myself. I'm definitely satisfied with my automobile purchasing decision after four years of ownership. There's a lot to be said for owning a vehicle that you have only had to perform routine maintenance on; and that has certainly the case for me with the 2002 IS300. Overall, I love my car!

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

Yea, go ahead and buy the IS 300 (I recommend the IS 350). They are worth the money

Reply to
Avalonman

I don't agree. The Volvo 850 (particularly the Turbo models and those made in 1994 forward) tend to be very stiff riding. I think the IS 300 is very comparable. The IS 350's ride may be a bit softer.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I to had Volvo 850 I had the turbo model, It was a good car but after the warranty went everything started to go also, The car ate brakes like kids eat candy. I have a 2002 IS300 and love it. It may not be as fast as the Volvo Turbo, but it will out handle it anyday.

Reply to
BlkLex

| My 2002 IS300 now has approximately 40,000 miles on the odometer, and I have | experienced only one issue worth mentioning to you. The only minor complaint | is that the original Bridgestone Potenza tires didn't wear even on the | front. The inside edges wore faster--due to the factory toe and camber | settings on the car. I had a four-wheel alignment performed at the same time | I put my second set of tires on and they have worn properly to date. I went | with Although there | are countless numbers of positives for these cars that I can cite, I do feel | as though I should mention some of the most common complaints. Here they | are: | | -Prop rod for supporting the opened hood instead of gas struts | -Space-invading gooseneck-style trunk hinges | -No oil pressure gauge | -MPG gauge that isn't very useful at all. Needle floats all over the place. | -Small rear seat according to many people | -Boy racer image due to Alteeza/Euro tail lights, drilled, aluminum, racing | pedals and other styling accents | -Automatic transmission version has shift points that are too close and high | gear isn't 'high' enough--which in turn contributes to the next common | complaint | -Poor fuel economy | -Requires premium unleaded fuel--although there will always be owners that | won't adhere to this particular recommendation from Lexus/Toyota Motor Co. | -Interior materials and styling/coordination not up to typical Lexus | standards

Our 2002 IS300 has 62,000 miles and I concur with your list of short comings, in particular the tire problem. From what I was told it was caused by the dealers not doing the "dealer prep" which should have checked the alignment. Most owners had to replace the very expensive tires in 10k-15k miles. I just had a discussion with Lexus about the prop rod for the hood. A concept that was abandoned 60 or 70 years ago by auto manufacturers and Lexus could not even design one that is reliable! I would add to your list that the rear visibility is very bad due to the door post and the very large head rest. I find backing up very "iffy" and I rely heavily on others to avoid hitting my car as I cannot see them.

John

Reply to
JohnH