Should I replace my W210 E-Class airbag steering wheel myself?

I've just bought a secondhand E55 AMG and want to replace the rim of the steering wheel with a new one I've bought (the old one has been worn glossy).

Is removing the central part (with airbag) a real hassle, or can it be done with reasonable technical skill? Does the airbag detonate as some people seem to say?

Secondly, if I do remove and refit, will the airbag warning light stay on in the dash - ie. do I need to get the dealer to fit the wheel anyway?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Chris Bowie

From your writing one can take you are not familiar with airbags - so it's no question: Let it be done by a MB dealership.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Cut the blue wire... NO... WAIT... cut the RED wire... GET BACK! IT'S GONNA BLOW!!!

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

Indeed, to the untrained, overly adventurous or otherwise, messing with a drivers airbag could be the first step in a new form of blow drying!

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Chris I made some minor collision repairs this summer on a W126 including replacing an aribag, crash sensor and a seatlbelt tensioner. I am very comfortable making repairs myself, got some sound advice on this forum, and can share my experience: Any one handy with basic car repairs, a few tools and common sense can remove an replace an airbag. Replace a stero is more complicate. SRS systems have numerous safety mechanisms and the procedure is very safe if you follow it. A shop manual is best and one for W210s can be found on eBay, then follow the instructions.

The basics of the procedure are to disconnect the battery, find and disconnect the disable mechanism (usually a red plug under the dash or floor mat), unbolt the airbag and unplug it. Reverse to install.

I'd venture to guess more people have been injured removing their radiator caps than pulling airbags.

Here is link that may help you:

Scott D

Reply to
Scott D

If I may add?, no need to disconnect the battery, but don't have the ignition on or the engine running either while disconnecting/re-connecting the red air bag plug. Cheers. Martin. Autobahn Auto

Reply to
Bnzmn600