Remote control range

Hi all, My dealer is trying to convince me that an effective range of 2-3M for my 2002 C-Class remote central locking is as good as it gets. I've done a side by side comparison on with similar car and the remote works from at least 10m if not more.

Anyone know if this is a common problem on 02' C-Classes and who I can write to to get confirmation on the range of the remote? A quick indication of how far your remote can be operated from would also be nice. Thank you.

Reply to
Nash

Haven't measured but it's a lot more than 3 m if nothing in way of door handle of course..

DAS

2001 CLK Cab

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Mine works about 50m away.

Reply to
Ric

Wanna try something wierd? This works with the remotes for my 2000 CLK (and my

1997 Saab 900).

Walk just outside of the range of your remote and verify that the remote won't work. Take the remote and place it under your chin with the IR port touching your skin halfway between the end of your chin and your throat (soft spot under your tongue.) Try the remote again.

If your results are anything like mine, placing the remote under your chin like this extends its range considerably!

Mike

Reply to
MJK

An engineer showed me this trick many years ago, in effect your body acts as an antenna. (People look at you sorta funny, though!)

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

It really works.... I started doing this in recent weeks after reading this NG. At least doubles the effective distance.

Also good for a sore throat, tooth ache and sinus congestion.

Reply to
FatHead