Squeaky brakes in '06 SLK 55 AMG.

Has anyone had problems with LOUD squeaky brakes in a '06 SLK 55? I am about to take it back to the dealer to have them refixed. It has only 6k miles on it.

Reply to
Ernesto

Ah, money shields noone from squeaky brakes... :-( My then fairly new CLK Cab's breaks started squeaking, too. The dealer applied some material or something which alleviated the problem.

At some stage the squeaking seemed to go away.

Bring back asbestos brake pads, I say... ;-)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Our 2002 E-320's brakes aren't squeaking, BUT the fronts really cause the rims to get dirty quickly. From what I remember this means a soft compound for better braking, but it sure makes a mess of the wheels.

Comments please

Reply to
James O'Riley

It is not soft compound. It is because of TUV requirement to include graphite as part of brake pad... Only in front too... I have no idea why... something to do with wear.

Reply to
Tiger

The problem is breaking in the brake pads... it was not done properly so it squeak loudly... squeak is caused by a tiny 'gap' between the pad and the rotor.

Reply to
Tiger

Pardon the silly question but ... what's the proper way of breaking in the brakes? Previously the dealer put some paste or something somewhere in the braking system, and the noise went away. Now it is beginning to come back.

Reply to
Ernesto

If you grease the back of the pads between the caliper and the actual pad you will stop the squeek.

Reply to
jsantamaria

Try not to jam the brakes too hard for few hundred miles. It is to help the pads 'configure' themselves to the surface of discs. Otherwise, heavy braking can cause glazing which makes lot of noises.

Ernesto wrote:

Reply to
OM

Let's not forget that driving while talking on the cell phone and looking out the window at the same time may help block out the squeak, too.

Reply to
Ernesto

Thanks.

Reply to
Ernesto

Don't know why the brakes make the wheels so dirty, but Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are the BEST way to clean the brake dust. They are great!

"James O'Riley"

Reply to
LWG

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 12:32:35 -0400, "LWG" graced this newsgroup with:

Reply to
amstaffs

Reply to
Ernesto