Screechers on brakes

I have a mazda protege 2000..Does anyone know how to take the screechers off of the brakes when the pads wear down ? I'm getting the pads changed next week, so I have to go a week with the car screeching everywhere I go. Let me know..tks. reply to group.

Reply to
Deputy Director

First, take the pads out... (See where I'm going with this?)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I am pretty sure that you would need to take the pads off to remove them, and at that point you might as well change the pads out if you have the old ones in your hands. Drive the Miata instead ;-) Good luck!

Reply to
Mike

How do I remove the the pads ? I understand its easy but there is nothing in the manual on how to remove the pads. Is there a clip or a pin I have to move ? Let me know..tks.

Reply to
Deputy Director

I guess where Lanny and myself were going with this is you have to disassemble the brakes to the point of having the old parts in your hands, and at that point you might as well have the rotors turned and put the new pads in.

Each caliper is held in place by 2 bolts and once swung free from the rotor, the pads are free to be removed by hand. Not all that complicated unless you are not mechanically inclined. Digital pictures or leaving the other side alone would help a lot. The principle is the same with a lot of the rear wheel drives I have done brakes on. Personally I wouldn't touch the brakes unless I had someone who has done them before with me because there are a number of little things that can be messed up without a bit of care when retracting the caliper pistons to install the new and thicker pads.

In a nutshell, live with it until they get replaced. Good luck!

Reply to
Mike