toy ball fell into underneath floor compartment

Under the driver/passenger seat there're those 3 plastic tubie thingy that runs into the under floor compartment. I'm pretty sure the small toy plastic soccer ball of my kid went throught the one under the driver's seat. I could hear the ball bouncing and shifting left/right when hitting a bump but have no way of getting into it to remove the ball. Anybody know how to reach the under carpet compartment where that plastic tubes lead to?

Reply to
tedqn

Shop Vac?

Reply to
me

You would probably get some more responses if you would let us know what kind of car you are refering to. There are a lot of car that have some form of duct work under the seats. I know my 84 126 Mercedes has them and the

1957 Pontaic had them, and many more.
Reply to
Paul McKechnie

I can't believe I forgot to mention the car .. it's a 2007 Mercedes

350ML SUV.
Reply to
tedqn

Cannot help you but I dropped an M&M into mine about 2 years ago and I can still hear it shift when I take corners. It was annoying but now it is somewhat amusing.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

It should have melted long ago..... that duct is heat only.

Reply to
Karl

Yes but it is (was) a peanut M&M, so I am guessing that only the peanut remains.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

Drive up a steep hill and slam on the brakes?

Seriously, I had a similar problem with my '85 300D. W123s have two or three lightening holes in the upper floorpan underneath each of the front seats, and before I owned the car, a child's small plastic ball fell down one of them. It was driving me nuts.

How I finally fixed the problem was to get my telescoping magnet (used for retrieving dropped screws, sockets, etc.) out of my toolbox and sticking a loop of inside-out masking tape to the end, rooting around with it until I contacted the ball, and then withdrawing it very slowly and carefully. It helps if you have something to push against.

But a few days later, the noise came back. Aieee! It turned out that there were *two* plastic balls rolling around down there. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Geoff

-- "Have you ever noticed that whenever you sneeze on your dashboard or computer monitor, it smells like pussy?" -- bandy

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Well, if these ducts are such a common feature, why should he have to specify what kind of car he has in order for anyone to visualize what he's talking about?

My '91 W124 had plastic ducts underneath the front seat that routed heated air to the rear footwells. (I learned quickly not to place cold six-packs of beer there when driving home from the store on winter days.) I knew exactly what the original poster was talking about.

Did your '57 Pontiac have the starter switch underneath the accelerator pedal? I encountered that feature on a '57 Oldsmobile when I worked at a car wash during high school. I turned the key, and there was no spring resistance. What the hell?

As the end of the conveyor drew near, I was about to ask for help pushing the car out when I thought to myself, "Y'know, it'd be just like a car from this era to have some gratuitously bizarre, Space Age set-up." I remembered not being able to find the gas filler on a '56 Chevy not long before, and learning that it was behind one of the taillights, of all places. So I thought, "This has to be it," and pressed the accelerator. It started right up.

Geoff

-- "Have you ever noticed that whenever you sneeze on your dashboard or computer monitor, it smells like pussy?" -- bandy

Reply to
Geoff Miller

"Melts in your mouth, not in your Benz!"

Reply to
Bill