95 Jetta - rain is flooding the passenger floor

This 95 Jetta is my daughter's car. Great condition. No damage. So why does the passenger floor pick up an inch of water in every rain? The door seal looks perfect. Is the cowl catchment drain blocked? It appears to exit at a rubber pucker between the door hinges, and is free. Can the water flowing into the cowl not be reaching the drain? Not much in the way of leaves and debris have built-up in the cowl. About average.

It's always possible the door seal below the pucker drain is letting water in rather than channeling it away, but it looks fine. And the door is flush with the clip, so it's not adjusted poorly.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks, Rey

Reply to
Rey Barry

Hi Rey,

The car likely has a vapour barrier inside the door which is allowing water into the passenger compartment if the door drains can't evacuate the water from inside the door fast enough.

Bruce

Reply to
B. Skelton

Does it have a sunroof? Also you need to check the windshield seal, as it could be running right down the firewall to the passenger floor.

Reply to
Biz

If it's coming in through the door, that means the drains in the bottom of the doors are plugged with gook.

A couple other possibilities:

- sunroof? There are drain tubes that go from the sunroof opening to a point just ahead of the front door on the A pillar. Sometimes they clog, or get torn or knocked out of place by someone trying to clean them improperly.

- ?If it rains like heck, maybe it's coming in through the lower vents? That would mean the AC drain is plugged.

- A famous leak is back by the rear tail light, but you didn't say anything about the trunk being wet

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Thanks, guys. I'll check these out one by one.

Rey

Reply to
Rey Barry

"Rey Barry" wrote

I saw the other suggestions, and see that you're going to check them. It's probably one of them, but here's one more.

I just fixed a problem like this with my '87 Scirocco. In my case the plastic housing under the hood, just forward of the firewall, which is part of the air system had become very slightly skewed from it's seat. Probably when the previous owner had banged the car into something. It looked fine, but when enough water got in there it would come in around the passenger side and drip onto the underside of the dashboard then run onto the floor. In a very light rain, nothing would happen, but in anything moderate or heavy it leaked. In a heavy rain I could literally have an inch or two of water in there. In winter I could have a pool of ice. I checked the window seal, the sunroof drains, the doors and all the usual stuff. I finally found it after I'd removed the underside of the dash while installing power windows and found it rotted out from being soaked over and over again and could see where the water had been hitting it.

I finally got around to sealing it up a couple of weeks back and nothing since then, even though it's rained pretty hard twice.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary