Two screws loose on a V12

What a few loose screws can do to a W140 V12 engine.

A German mechanic made an interesting photo series on replacing a V12 engine that was destroyed because of an error made by a Swiss dealer during simple maintenance. They forgot to put two screws in the distributor. This is the result after 100 KM.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Oh that is nitemarish! I am going out to my garage right now to check all tightnesses on my car (95 SL600)! :( I love the engine, but it's the little things than can wreck your day with it

Thnx for the l> What a few loose screws can do to a W140 V12 engine.

Reply to
Cothrom

Which screws are missing? The center one holding the rotor to the cam? With the dist cap on, the button pushes on the rotor and holds it in place. There is no room for the rotor to move. The notch on the rotor support is longer than the distance between the rotor and the cap.

All I see in the pics are scored walls due to wear and a burned piston that is usually always heat related/lean mixture caused.

Sorry, but I think Bernard 6.9 is putting blame on the wrong person.

Reply to
Karl

Well, my opinion is that ignition problem can cause this but in just

100km sounds unbelieveable.

As well all 6 sylinders damaged is not expected.

Reg: Harri

Reply to
Harri Markkula

Maybe he is trying to concoct a story about why he needs a new car that his wife will accept.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

The last photos he's putting in a new (used) engine so that won't be it...

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition