v class purchasing advice

Hi,

An enlarging family and an aging volvo are forcing some decisions.

So, I have been looking at some 7 seaters and have narrowed the choice down to one of the v class options or a vw caravelle.

I know that the volvo 940 diesel was fitted with the vw unit and some have reported problems with them.

So, just wondering about the reliability of the v class and what sort of engine life can I expect.

Also, are there any common problems with them?

What about rust?

Also, which years were they changed and what happened.

As an asside, I do not see much on this group regarding the v class, is there another place where they are discussed?

Thanks

Keith

Reply to
keith Barret

I own a 2004 Vito 115 CDI Auto which I bought New (the base of the V class), I won't be replacing it with a Mercedes when the Lease is up. My main gripe is the dealers, but the entire front suspension required replacing after

9000 miles and I had 15 fault codes in the computer when it went in.

The electrics fail sporadically and this cannot be ound or cured by the dealer, in fact of the 15 faults, there are 4 that dealer has no idea how to fix.

Sad really, as this is the nicest van I've ever driven, I just can't live with the problems on a new vehilce and a dealer that simply doesn't care and won't provide a vehicle when it's being repaired.

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Hi,

How do the model numbers work i.e. 115? I have noticed there is a 108 and I think a 110.

Hope your dealer is not in South Wales?

Reply to
keith Barret

Hi I recently bought a second-hand V Class 220 Auto for use with a relative.

Lovely to drive, but V Class are complicated (as are most vehicles nowadays).

I have read elsewhere they are prone to electrical faults and that is my experience. Ours had pneumatic rear suspension which developed a fault soon after we bought it. I know the previous owner had had to replace the compressor, the vehicle has a wheelchair lift which will put considerable extra load on the rear suspension when in use. I was looking to have to take it to a main dealer for diagnosis but decided to have look and found a faulty solenoid valve. Seems to be OK now.

Heated rear is not functioning and thermostat has gone. Engine management system may have failed in the past.

I found some sites with comments and advice from users on the web but have lost the addresses due to a computer crash. They all mentioned electrical problems.

There does not seem to be any sort of independently produced workshop manual or software.

Would I buy another one? I would seriously consider it at the right price, for me without self levelling suspension although for a wheel chair user who is sitting over the back axle it may give a smoother ride.

Rear door aperture height is low for seated wheelchair user entry.

I believe pressure should be put on car manufacturers to release information that will allow vehicles to be maintained by non franchised mechanics once the model has reached say 4 years old

It will not be long before residual values on computer driven vehicles plummet faster as people realise theses complicated vehicles are expensive to keep going.

I don't see it happening though.

David

Reply to
David

I have a Vito van [that is esentially what the VClass is] with the 110CDi. When it goes it goes well. It is horrendously unreliable though, needing a new engine and brake discs before hitting 50,000 miles. This is not unreprisentative. Rust is also a problem with paint particularly thin at the panel edges. It is not a match for Renault or Vauxhall vans or even the similar Nissan vans. Consider a Ford Galaxy or VW Sharan as they are plentiful and cheap and better.

Huw

Reply to
Huw