w140 upgrade

Im owner of a SE300 1993, seems need more engine, im really happy with size and comfort, i fixed gear box and wire harness, but im thinking on a upgrade, maybe w140 S 420 4.2 V8 , what do you think, its enough a 4.200 V8? maintenance cost are similar? same things to fix? better 1995 and up?

Reply to
Dr_Chino

Are you in Chile?

How are the parts there? Are they available?

Reply to
PerfectReign

Hi yes im in Chile, w140 is extremelly expensive in my country: ex: wiring harness: US$ 1.900 - Ebay US$550 read in a lot of forums that W140 wiring harness sucks (W124 are cheap in parts and mantenance) Now i have the SE300 95% fixed, still have some minor details. i ll keep it a couple of years, it is a very comfortable size for family long trips, thats why im thinking in a 420 V8 in a few years, my only doubt is start fixing little and big details. Theres only one expert in the whole country able to repair the 5 speed gearbox, even oficcial distributor doesnt fix them, just change them. i love that model, remembers me the w124, thats why i like it more than newer ones. regards

Reply to
Dr_Chino

I have the same type of car (300SEL, W140, 1991), and I miss power at low-medium revolutions. Once it gets to 4-5.000 revs, power is fine, but that is a kind of too aggressive driving for that type of car (automatic transmission).

I dream of upgrading it with compressor/Intercooler.

I have Eaton TVS series type R1320 in mind with a 1:2 gear ratio to main shaft. I can be placed instead of the air pump (above the generator). Price is about 3.500 USD.

The intercooler can be bell 3,5" core, around 4" heigth and 28" length fitted in place of servo oil cooler (which must then be displaced). Some would say, that this long and narrow cooler would give too much pressure drop, which is true if you go only for high HP, but which is perfectly alright, if you go for boost at low revs.

I would then use airfilter box from later W140 (fitted in passenger side) above the compressor, move the MAS to just after air filter and then do piping from MAS to compressor, from compressor to intercooler (which makes passage to drivers side) and then from intercooler to throttle assembly. This should be simple for a skilled mechanic.

The compressor has build-in bypass valve, which will act on manifold vacuum, so boost pressure will only be provided when needed, resulting in a smooth ride.

This combination should be safe without other modifications to the engine (which must of course be en well maintained order), and it will provide a much flatter torque curve, so high torque is present from low revs without the noticable dip between 2.000 and 3.500 revs.

=2E.... just an idea.

/Jens

Reply to
Jens

Wow a GREAT idea i was refering in change car to a W140 V8, spend a lot of time and money in upgrade a W201, i really love that car, but is not enough for a family, just a fast toy for a big boy...

Reply to
Dr_Chino