New owner of 1996 Audi Cabriolet Questions: Check engine light, CD Changer location, keyless entry system, Alarm, Seat belts, leg room

All,

I just bought a beautiful 1996 Cabriolet Convertible. Very very happy with it. Even though its an automatic the acceleration is good with the V6 and the sweet spot is above 60 MPH. God bless the audobahn. I apologize in advance that i am asking so many questions but am thinking I might as well pick the brains of the experts out there... There are just a few things I want to work on to make the car perfect.

  1. Audio: Where to add a CD changer? The car is prewired to have the changer in the back, however I would really like to have the changer in the glove box or perhaps under one of the seats. Is this possible? I've done the research and I need to use the 8DO 035 111 with 8-PIN connector. There are some indications that other models may work with special connectors but at the cost of losing cd info being displayed in the Delta head. Is this right? Also the speakers seem to be not that hifi, maybe it's because I'm only doing the radio now. Is it my imagination or should I be looking at aftermarket speakers? The car is in excellent condition with minimal wear and tear (Only 6K per year mileage) so the speakers probably haven't been abused.

  1. Check Engine light. Its on. The previous owner brought the car to the dealer several times who checked everything, got the light off, then it reappeared after a few days and would stay. Finally the dealer said there were no problems with the car and the problem was most likely a defective computer which would cost $$$ to replace. I verified this. The previous owner said the check engine light would reappear after a few days when he turned the ignition key. Do you all have any obvious things to check? I saw that there was a factory recall on 1996 cabriolet ignition switches on models manufactured in

1995 but carfax says this car started out in late 1996.

  1. Keyless entry. The car didn't come with a keyless entry fob. I THINK the car has the receivers to accept this but am not certain. It does have motorized locks. Ebay has some keyless entry fobs for 96 A4 and Cabs. Would it be that simple with dealer reprogramming? Actually they are kind of ... big and ugly. Could I get a newer key with integrated keyless transmitter and get it cut for my car or integrate the old key?

  2. Alarm system. How is the default alarm system on the car? I spend time in a big city and want to have good protection for the car. Can I assume that the factory alarm is decent?

  1. Seat belts. The seat belts don't retract all the way and sometimes the door bangs on the buckle. Is there a fix for this?

  2. Leg room. This one is kind of far out. I'm very tall. I fit in the car well, but with seat back and down my knees are a bit close to the steering wheel. Is there anything I can do for a reasonable amount of money like lowering the seat, removing padding, moving the steering wheel up or getting a smaller wheel to have a bit more leg room?

Advice on these or any other advice from fellow Cabriolet owners will be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance I am really enjoying becoming part of the audi family!

Reply to
Science Guy

It may not have the keyless entry receiver pre-installed but if not Vag Parts

sell an after market module (made specifically for Audis) but it still has a rather large fob :o( I purchased one recently and the kit arrived after only a few days.

Boez

Reply to
Boez

I bought a used 96 A6 Avant, not quite a Cabriolet, but had every one of the same issues.

  1. The CD prewire is in my trunk. I can't imagine fishing out that din wire to anywhere else. The changer takes 6 cds. Unless you are A.D.D., you'll find that the trunk is not an issue.

  1. Buy a VAG.COM cable and software. You can then find the exact code, clear it, and/or fix it. I kept getting a temp invalid signal every few days until I replaced the thermostat. No check engine code for a year now.

  2. Keyless entry. You can buy a fob at the dealer for anout 5. I got one there and another on e-bay. make sure the e-bay ones are for only a 95-96. The switchblade will not work with this model. There are instructions on various boards as to how to program the remote. I can dig mine up if youcan't fine 'em. The dealer may or may not charge you to program them. My old dealer did not, my new one does.

  1. My alarm is great. Motion sensor, override, etc. It works well with the remote

  2. Me too. I asked the dealer and he said that was the way it was. I dad a toyota that was worse and after taking it to the regional guy, got new belts from a safety reason. I had in hand a government safety form requesting a recall if he did not comply. Try it on your audi dealer, I just live with it.

  1. My Avant has lots of room. The wheel is telescopic and up/down as well. It helps get you where you need to be. My electric seat is all the way down and back. I'm 6'3" and all is well.

ENJOY YOUR AUDI !!!

Reply to
John Doe