water pump replacement procedure on 1984 500 SL ?

Greetings !

I'm down to the last bolt, the bottom one on the left side, for removing the pump but don't see how.

I see two rectangular 'cutouts' on the damper but don't see how they help. My bolt head is down below the bottom of the cutout, so unless a flexible socket connector is required I'm at a loss.

I know the bolt head is 13mm, but is a long socket required ?

Exactly what tool configuration should be used to remove this bolt ?

Appreciatively, again :-)

Courtney

Reply to
Courtney Thomas

What about an open ended wrench? No idea, just a thought?

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Correct, you have to remove the pulley and balancer. A word of advice: Turn the engine so the timing mark is at zero. Pop the dist cap, pull the rotor off, remove the plastic shield, reinstall the rotor. Look at where the rotor is pointing. If it is not pointing to the index mark then it is 180 out. Rotate the engine around to zero again. Rotor should be at index point at top edge of housing. Now get some touch-up paint or white-out, whatever you can find, you want to paint a line on the black section between the pulley groove and the balancer at the zero mark. Reason: When you remove the six bolts and the pulley and balancer; you will see that the six bolt holes are not spaced evenly. You will hate yourself when you try to align the pulley and balancer to the crank and you can only get 5 bolts in!!! The reason to align the dist at the index mark? You may need to remove the dist to get to that top right bolt......

Reply to
Karl