Knock sensor replacement question

Hi,

I need to replace the knock sensor on my '99 Outback. I've located the sensor. Can I gain access to the connector by just removing the alternator? Do I have to drain the radiator fluid? The Haynes manual I have says to remove the intake manifold to remove it. That looks like overkill just to replace a sensor. Anyone have any tips on how to go about replacing the knock?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Nick L

Reply to
Nick Lamendola

I had mine done by the dealer, including diagnosis, the bill was less than $200 and they only had the car until lunchtime.

Images to Laugh, Smile & Cry over ! Ian Wharton Creative Photographics Brisbane Australia

alternator?

Reply to
Creative

Yes, I could do that, but then I would lose the pleasure of struggling to replace it my self. I was just looking to see if someone could verify if my Haynes manual was correct. I don't think the intake maifold could be removed that quickly.

Reply to
Nick Lamendola

I'm not sure how it is on the Outback, but the knock sensor is usually held in place by a single bolt, usually with a 10mm or 13mm head. If you can get to the bolt with a ratchet and extension and/or u-joint, you can remove & replace the sensor. Use a 6-point socket just to be safe. If you can get to it by simply removing the alternator, then that's the correct way.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin

Replaced one on an earlier car, didn't need to remove manifold in that case. ed

Reply to
ed

it's not under the alternator. That's the oil pressure sender. The knock sensor is behind the intake at the rear of the block (on top) on the drivers side. it looks like a black cylinder with a plug coming out the side. It has ONE bolt going directly throught the top.

I have THE Subaru service manual for this. I can't post up a page to show you if you want.

-Dominic Acia

Reply to
Dtitan

Thanks, but I know where it was located. Thought I had to remove the alternator to get at it. I did not after all. It took about 40 minutes to replace. The hard part was cutting the cable tie that held the pig tail and a couple of other lines togeteher. I used a magnetic tip probe to get the bolt up after loosening it. The next difficult part was getting the bolt back in the place on the new one. The Haynes manual I have must be too old. They wantn't me to remove the intake manifold and drain the coolent. I erased the code and eveything is OK. Thanks for all the replys

Reply to
Nick Lamendola

I have replaced mine two weeks ago on my Outback '97. It wasn't easy, but not so hard either. After changing spark plugs it's nothing... :-)

First, I have removed black "air intake box". Loose metal rings on the manfold and on the filter box. Unscrew bolts on the holders and remove whole "air box".

Second, you should squeeze the metal ring and remove rubber hose next to the knock sensor. You will have small amount of cooling liquid.

Third, use wrench head with extender. Get them on the bolt, and then put wrench arm.You will have 60-90 degrees of free movement, but ti's sufficient to unscrew the bolt. It's easied to do when you lay down on the engine (I tried to do it from left and right - almost impossible).

Then bolt new sensor in, and assemble everything back. Everything took for me about 15 minutes.

Good luck.

Reply to
Guest