water pump in 89 Jetta

Hi Folks - the water pump on my Jetta has bitten the dust, and I'm trying to replace it. I did this about 6 years ago when I last did the timing belt, but have forgotten a few things. The engine is an 8v 1.8 (PF).

What do I need to remove to get at this thing? I've got out the air box, pax side front wheel, ps pump, alternator and ac compressor. It looks as though there may be a bolt or two under the lower timing belt cover. Can I get at it without removing the cover? If I need to remove the cover, do I need to immobilize the crankshaft by putting a 2x4 against one of the crankshaft lobes? In other words, to get to the water pump do I also need to drop the oil pan?

Hping the naswer is no... what a PITA!

Any tricks for taking off the water pump pulley?

TIA - Chris

Reply to
starburst

Gas engine 8V right?

If the power steering pump and a/c compressor is out of the way then you are almost there. Did you take off the a/c compressor bracket yet? Should be a 6mm allen head bolt that holds it at the top. You access this bolt through maybe a plastic plug in the upper timing belt cover. Then you have 2 lower bolts (13mm hex head) for the water pump.

Using large channel-lock pliers you can hold the three bolts (6mm allen head) that hold the water pump pulley on and use the allen wrenches to loosen those bolts. Please clean out the area where the allen tool goes, and make sure that tool gets fully inserted. ;-)

You have to take off a small nut (10mm hex head) holding the W pump to the timing cover. Slide bolt out and don't forget to reinstall it BEFORE you install the a/c compressor. You have to take off 2 upper bolts (13mm hex head), and 2 lower bolts which should already be off, holding the W pump to the block. That should be it after the hoses are off.

I think that is it so far but memory might have forgotten something.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1