What's rust like on older 190s?

I am contemplating exchanging my Saab 900 for a 190. there's no rust on my Saab

- 1985! What can I expect from a 1990's model 190? If it does rust, where........?

=== Andy Evans === Visit our Website:-

music and health pages and interesting links.

Reply to
Andy Evans

Only rust on my 85 (I don't own it any more, but I still see it; a friend bought it) is around the holes where you plug in the jack, down by the wheel wells.

And I live in an area where they salt the streets, so it's a worst-case scenario.

Reply to
Art Hadley

I've got a 1987 190 that I've had for a number of years now. Generally the bodywork is pretty bullet-proof, although, as another poster has mentioned, I have had a touch of rust around one wheel arch (offside front). I'm more than happy that my 190 comes without electric windows (judging by the cost of replacement) and similarly it is carbed rather than injected. If you buy carefully you'll get a car that is a lot more economical to run than a Saab. If you do go for a fully-loaded car (all the electric gizmos) I would have it well looked over -as I mentioned, the electrical bits can be expensive to replace. Oh, and go for an automatic with a full history. Good luck.

Reply to
kevin boxer

I'm thinking of changing from Saab because the 'classic' shape is getting old, because things have started costing on my 1985 900 turbo and because I'm curious to try a MB.

=== Andy Evans === Visit our Website:-

music and health pages and interesting links.

Reply to
Andy Evans

Oh, and go for an automatic with a full history.>.

why an auto? I've never driven one - somehow like the idea of changing gears when I feel like. anything I should know - are they more reliable or long lasting?

=== Andy Evans === Visit our Website:-

music and health pages and interesting links.

Reply to
Andy Evans

My wife has a manual 1992 190E 2L, and I have an Auto. Like you, I was a bit unsure about an auto, but the Mercedes Manual box is terrible, so I bought myself an auto and it's brilliant. Suggest you try both and decide for yourself. As somebody else said, if you find any rust just walk away, both ours are more or less completely rust free; I think the shells were galvanised so should be fine unless accident damaged. Good luck, I think you'll enjoy Mercedes, but after a SAAB turbo you may find the power a bit down.

soundforger

Reply to
soundforger

i think you'll like an MB. if you do buy one, let us know your impressions?

Reply to
Nick Hogg

i think you'll like an MB. if you do buy one, let us know your impressions?>

It's going to be an excercise in losing money whichever way you look at it. I keep the Saab, the repairs mount up. I sell it for £600, I lose my mechanical investment in parts. I buy a used MB, I start again........ I suffer from the fatal disease of car owners - lack of money. You end up spending more than if you did have money.

=== Andy Evans === Visit our Website:-

music and health pages and interesting links.

Reply to
Andy Evans

Well, after being very pro manual years ago I am afraid I now think it's for the birds, especially if you live in a city. Auto is King!

As regards rust, Andy E, I must have a good look as I haven't noticed any on my 1993 190E 2.0 and the independent workshop where I had my MoT test done a few months ago didn't mention anything.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Cars are not an "investment" but an expense. The plan is to keep that expense as low as possable(Maintanance and depreciation), while keeping personal comfort as high as possable. The balance point will very with each person. Also, comfort can include things like not having to fix the damn thing every week!

Lee

Reply to
Lee Sharp