Where to get long block for 190E 2.6?

I posted a few days ago about cracking the sump/pan on my 1993 190E 2.6. I just got the bad news from the dealer and the insurance company--the engine has to be replaced. That's not just the dealer's conclusion as the insurance people had it checked by their own guy and he agrees.

There are limits to what the insurance company (State Farm) will pay, considering the value of the car. I, of course, want to keep the car, since it is otherwise in superb condition. The repairs obviously will be very expensive and the insurance company will want to total the car rather than have it repaired.

So, question is, where can I get a quality long block (other than Mercedes)? The engine number is 103942.

Thanks,

Carroll

Reply to
CEB

T.G. Lambach

Thanks--I got several recommendations for Metric Motors, and my dealer recommended them as well since they've had good luck with several of their engines in the past.

$4900.00 + shipping. Ouch! Well, the insurance settlement will cushion the pain somewhat.

Reply to
CEB

Hopefully insurance will pay you like $1500... then use the money to buy yourself another used 190E... transplant as necessary...

If I were you... i'd probably just buy a whole newer MB...

Reply to
Tiger

The insurance company will total the car. The repair cost is higher than the vehicle's value. Since the rest of the vehicle is in near perfect condition (given its age), I'll buy it for salvage value and put the new engine in it.

I had planned to keep the car forever, and anticipated that major engine work would eventually be needed. It's just come a bit sooner than planned . . .

Reply to
CEB

Yup. If I had the money I'd buy one from Metric Motors too. if I didn't I'd scour want-ads and classifieds till I found a rusty car/good engine that somebody's dying to get rid of to restore marital bliss.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

You don't need the $4500 long block, you only need the $2500 short block, presumably the rest of the bots of your engine are ok. Maybe get a head for $300 more if it really needs it.

Still the best deal is to find a $500-$1500 rusted out piece of shit with an engine that just purrs and swap the motor.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I agree, that's what I would do also... Putting a $5000 engine in a $2500 car is marginal IMO.

Although if the car is nice and you love it, I am OK with that too ;~)

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph