why do mercedes diesel last forever?

Like in a M-B as well. I don't see why it would be worse in a gas engine than in a diesel.

If gasoline engines were so long lived, I

Why are you mixing things? Trucks are a completely different business. Diesels in trucks provide massive low-end torque and are cheaper to run, no contest.

This is where we disagree about cars. All data of highest mileage cases published will say otherwise. Most of them are gas powered!

Reply to
Saintor

Ridiculous. Any normal gas engine will run endless hours at 100+ mph, desert or not. Not even a challenge. Remove your pink glasses, please.

Reply to
Saintor

You drive _cars_ like Hondas and try to tell people with 20+ years of deep insights into Mercedes and especially MB diesels and car fleets they are wrong - boy, you are an expert!

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Where are you finding this "published" data which shows that most high mileage engines are gasoline engines?

Why do I "mix things"? Because diesel engines are used in trucks, trains and as stationary generators because of their long life, low repair frequency and lower operating cost. The torque character of diesels while a major factor in trucking probably plays a lesser role in it's selection for diesel electric train engines or stationary generators. Actually, diesels have a broad torque peak and not simply low end torque. My point is that diesel engines are selected when maximum engine life and low operating cost are important factors. You don't seem to accept that. Perhaps you're just a troll.

Reply to
VCopelan

That web page is not a wide based industry wide survey. It is people who just happen to use that page filling out a questionnaire. The page you linked to had the top mileage MB at 12th place with 336,000 miles. If you had looked at the Mercedes roster of their page, you would have found the top Benz listed by one of the page users at 453,900 miles, which would put it in second place.

search in the UAE for the Mercedes-Benz with the highest mileagewas won by owner Prakash Wagh, who in his 1982 E-class model hadclocked up more than one million kilometres (621,000 miles) I didn't see that on your sources list

N.J., Nov. 23 -- The Guinness Book of Records hasofficially named a 1966 Volvo P1800 as the vehicle holding the recordfor the 'Highest Car Mileage.' The car currently has over 1,671,000 miles and is driven every dayby its original owner, Irv Gordon of East Patchogue, New York whopurchased the car brand new in 1966 from Volvoville in Massapequa, NewYork.

I didn't see that one on your sources Volvo roster.

'83 300D has 354,000 miles on it. However, my wife's 604 SRD, nowgentlemen, this is a 1983 Peugeot 604 with a 2.3 L turbodiesel thatshe purchased new in June of '83 has over 600,000 miles on it.
highest recorded mileage listed in the book (Guiness Book Of WorldRecords) is held by the owner of a Mercedes 180D that reached1,184,880 miles in 1978. That is more than double the miles of the Toyota listed as #1 on yoursources site.

Reply to
sdp1s

I can see that you are at hopeless point.

Anyway everything has been said.

- It is not true that high mileage CARS are exclusively diesels.

- It is not true that in these high mileage CARS, there are more diesels

- It is not true as per data, that diesels CARS last longer.

- America car fleets industry agree since there is no diesel here. The only way to have more diesel in N.A. is to increase the oil price (make it cleaner too). Longevity of the engines is not a point because gas engines longevity is apparently more than you wish, and in fact (against your theory) perfectly comparable to diesels. Get used to it. Just facts.

Reply to
Saintor

Nobody has said the contrary. Voluntary basis.

But it is a good reference to see averages.

Neither the 1 080 000 miles Honda Accord 1994 with original gas powerplant.

Reply to
Saintor

You guys old diesel M-B owners seem to live in a bubble, denying the evidence that competition can do it as good or better. If diesel would be soooo good, you can be sure that America would have plenty of them, more of that because average annual mileage of Americans is substantially higher than in Europe. As per your theory, American taxis should be diesel; they aren't. And they last.

Reply to
Saintor

while high milage cars aren't exclusively diesels, diesels USUALLY have a longer life than gas engines

there are more gas cars to begin, so your chances of there being more gas cars left standing after a few hundred K miles are greater, are you a politician? you are great at trying to manipulate data

wrong, diesels do last longer

not facts, just your twisted interpretations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.

Reply to
127.0.0.1

Interestng point.

In contrast to most/all other western European countries in the UK diesel fuel costs the same as or more than standard (unleaded) petrol. Diesel was deeply unfashionable here for all kinds of reasons.

Yet diesel-fuel car sales are now rising steeply.

So tell me, what is the point?

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

the reason that there are few diesels in the US has no basis on quality of the engine, just because a method is better doesn't guarantee popularity in the marketplace, try looking up beta vs vhs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.

Reply to
127.0.0.1

Why is the British Black Cab only available in diesel? Fuel price is irrelevant in the UK (see my slightly earlier post in this thread).

You appear to be overlooking one important issue.

There are few if any modern diesel engines in passenger cars in the US because of the lack of low-sulfur fuel. However, I am sure I read in one of these newsgroups that this situation will change in the US in the next year or two.

Let's talk again then.

By then you might have test-driven a turbocharged 2.5-litre diesel engine and been surprised at the g-forces...

And I was in one your famed American taxis in NYC a few months ago. Very high mileage, yes, but not the first engine either.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

You do know which cars I do own?

I certainly do not live in a bubble: I have 20+ years experience with all

4-, 5- and 6-cyl MB diesel cars and fleet car operating plus I have an extremely sharp pencil when it comes to car cost - what do you have to offer?

The competition can't: Many fleet operators here in Germany have tried in the past 20+ years to switch to other marques - and they all switched back to Mercedes diesels. They tried all kinds of marques, from Audi and Ford and Opel and Peugeot to Volvo and Volkswagen, not to mention Toyota and Mazda - no way in the long run.

I am talking about fleet cars - 60.000 to

120.000 km a year.

No question they last, but diesel powered cars _generally_ last longer - THAT simple is it!

And we all know that Americans do not care about fuel consumption so there is simply no American diesel car (and don't tell me trucks like the Ford F-250 range are passenger cars - that are trucks).

And the Ford Crown Victorias are chosen due to separate chassis and rear wheel drive as well as low buying price compared to the relatively big car and interiour size - the same with the Lincoln Towncars one category higher in the limousine business.

The best diesel engine ever made by MB was the 72 resp. 75 PS OM 601 for which it is not uncommon to last more than

1.000.000 km.

Juergen

Juergen .

You are entitled to your opinion, and this is only this, your opinion, but bring here statistical data here to support your claims and we'll continue to talk. In the meantime, most high-mileage cars reported on internet are gas powered and el cheapo ones, want it or not.

Reply to
Saintor

No I didn't overlook it. I know this 'issue'. Earlier I wrote; "The only way to have more diesel in N.A. is to increase the oil price (make it cleaner too). "

But if you ask me, this 'issue' looks like a lame excuse since there are millions of trucks running on diesel in Aaerica.

No, they rarely change engines. Most NYC cabs are on the road 4 years and do 60-80000 miles a year. This is 300 000 miles.

Reply to
Saintor

In case you are addressing me:

"Diesel sales are rising rapidly, with diesels outselling petrol-engined cars in several European countries already.

In the UK in the upper-middle to top class diesel overtook petrol in September, and that's WITHOUT the price advantage diesel enjoys in other European countries.

The overall advantage of diesel isn't that great with smaller cars/engines anyway, according to that article."

This is from an article published in the Driving section of a recent Sunday Times, UK's leading quality Sunday paper.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

I asked the cabbie.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Your centre of interest is pretty much obvious, if you are asking. :o))))

More than you think.

Same thing here. And if you think that you have an extremely sharp pencil, try again. The taxi industry is much more voracious here and rates are lower than in Europe. They tried a lot of vehicles in NYC and in whole America, including M-B diesels. They ALL switched back to what you see most here - no way in the long run.

I don't doubt a minute that a Mercedes can be more durable than your average car. Not necessarely due to diesel engines, obviously.

This compares to the 60-80000 miles I mentionned above. Actually your figures are lower.

ANSWER the question. Why do you see on internet much more very high mileage cars (mostly tin cans Honda and Toyota) than diesel cars? Where are 10-15 yrs old VW diesels? Most of them did not reach real high-mileage (200000 miles), except a few ones in minority.

"Your typical New York City taxi is a three-year-old Ford Crown Victoria with 350,000 miles on the odometer "

That is 600 000km.

The second most popular taxi car in NYC was until recently the previous

4-cyl. Honda Odyssey / Isuzu Oasis (same vehicle). 600 of them in NYC alone.

Come on.... They are obviously exceptions. Your typical '70s diesel is a

200-300 000 miles car which can also be achieved by most gas engines.
Reply to
Saintor

Like the data you've supplied?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.

Reply to
127.0.0.1

Averages of what? I could have the same page based on people that just live in my neighborhood as volunteers. That page has nothing to do with what car maker or engine design lasts the longest. It is a useless reference for that debate.

Reply to
sdp1s