Probably my last Volvo ever - damn.

I've been driving Volvos for more than 15 years now, currently we've a

1990s v70 crosscountry and a xc70 ('02 vintage).

Bought the XC70 with 75000-80000km on the clock (that's under 50000 miles). I've put another 50k km on the odometer, it just went past 130k.

So far:

1 new swingarm assembly 1 major reconditioning job on the transmission before 100k km on the clock. Steering rack blew all the hydraulic seals The aircon fails intermittently during warm humid weather. The radio occasionally starts switching madly between stations, cd player and changer. There was one more major repair, I forget what it was, but they had to rip the dash out to do it, and it's never gone back in properly, the steering wheel now squeeks during 3 point turns and parking.

Today I'm told that it needs new coils, and that some oil rings are on the way out -- estimated price on the job is 7000 to 8000 dollars for an engine rebuild.

I am *seriously* pissed off. Ok, I will be the first to say that this is a lovely car to drive, I really really enjoy it -- but all this crap by

130,000 km on the odometer. You have to be joking. Seriously. Pissed.Off.

We've also had a transmission rebuild on the v70 but that can be excused, it's quite a bit older and has over 200,000 km on the clock.

Finally: I am not at all impressed with the quality of the manufacturing that's gone into the xc70. Especially considering that I'm paying the extra for a renowned Euro marque in order NOT to have reliability problems living as remotely as I do.

;-(

I feel that I can no longer recommend the marque. Just wondering what to do next. I'll probably trade it in before the year is out, I'm not having the engine rebuilt.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Hi Peter,

I guess some of your problems may be due to the way the previous owner took care of the vehicle during the break-in period and there after.

Never the less, I have a 98 V70, base model, with 185000 miles on the clock and it has:

- Engine oil consumption, even though the engines are different.

- Need to take the whole dash to replace the A/C evaporator. It would be really expensive to do, but i will do it myself.

- Had to replace the radiator because of the metal insert in the hose connections rusted, and broke the plastic around it.

- Had to replace the engine camshaft seals because the PCV system clogged and it blew the seals out of their pockets.

- Sunroof leaks

- I have the same squeaks when turning the steering wheel.

- A variety of dashboard rattles.

- Instrument panel/dashboard/radio light bulbs needing replacement.

When I compare my Volvo experience with my 94 Maxima experience, the Nissan is a clear winner. The nissan is more exciting to drive, is quieter, no rattles, no major repairs.

Additionally, the only light bulb ever needed to be replaced on the Nissan was the dome light. I replaced the headlight bulbs because they were dim, not because they had failed. How come do you see so many newer cars, with failed tail, stop lights? Less than two years old? Chryslers seem to be the worst.

I second Peter's opinion that maybe this one being my last volvo, even though the 2011 S80 I rode in was such a nice car.

Peter Huebner wrote:

Reply to
AS

In article , Peter Huebner wrote: [ ... ]

[ ... ]

You might want to check into the cost of getting a rebuilt engine rather than having your existing engine rebuilt; that may be much less expensive.

Gary

1972 145
Reply to
Gary Heston

I restored an '82 244 Turbo and it has been my daily driver for about twelve years.

It is built like a tank, its quirks are known, and parts (both new and used) are readily available.

Yes, I work on it quite a bit, as it IS a Turbo, but for a competent shade tree mechanic it is a good choice.

Lowered, repainted, and with everything working right they're great cars.

Reply to
Mr. V

Yes, those old cars are fantastic. And you can still work on them yourself.

My xc70 misbehaved again. Suddenly it's not running on all pots and there's petrol in the oil and in the exhaust. I've had enough. I bought a VW Passat Alltrack tdi today. We still have the v70 crosscountry, which, despite being much older, has proven the more reliable car. The XC70 is now an expensive doorstop, sea-anchor or equivalent. :-\

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

You sold the Volvo because of the problems and got a Passat?

Congrats on your new car. Good luck, I hope I am wrong but I think you will need it.

AS

Peter Huebner wrote:

Reply to
AS

For one thing, any repairs will be MORE difficult and expensive.

Reply to
clare

Am 31.05.2012 04:50, schrieb Peter Huebner:

Which change in production sites, owner etc happened after the 850 series. My 1997 model 855 TDI with an Audi Diesel engine has run 310000 km without any such great problems. Automatic gear box works ok. I changed the ATF more often than the official suggestion of never changing ist. Swingarms with integrated joints had to be changed. So I am also wondering where to when this car goes down.... Franz47

Reply to
Franz47

Yes, I loved the 855. We made a mistake by giving it to some people who trashed it. Originally they bought it against such a contingency for us to buy back after 3 months, but they kept it longer and had a bunch of mishaps with it (i.e. hitting stuff) that we no longer wanted it back. That car was a charm to drive.

I got a brand new Passat Alltrack tdi with most of the trappings. It feels and looks a little smaller, although I think that may be somewhat deceptive due to it being not as blocky around the rear end. Drives like a dream. Fuel consumption 2/3 of the XC70. Extremely good warranty and customer care here in NZ, so I'm looking forward to driving this for a fair few years. The only 'complaint' my wife has is that the suspension is a fair bit harder than the volvo. Roadholding is phenomenal. I go up and down our gravel road at 80 km/h with it and it runs like it's on rails. Compared to that, the xc70 was more apt to go sideways, presumably because of the bigger mass. The auto gearbox is definitely superior, so is the engine braking (can shift to tiptronic if on a steep hill) and the digital cruise control handily eliminates speeding tickets (lol).

We'll see about manufacturing quality and standards in 3-4 years, I guess. Or maybe not. We still have the V70 cross country, which was built still in the 90s some time iirc, and we're keeping that one. It seems more robust than the '02 xc70. Just spent another $3100 on the xc70 to get it back on the road after it started running on 3 pots only, and it'll go on the market later this week. At least I'll recover some money, for a couple of weeks we thought we might have to write it off as a loss alltogether. I'm still very disappointed, it was such a nice ride, but what good is that if it's like a black hole that you pour money into - and we live so far away from civilization, we need vehicles that are _reliable_.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Am 04.07.2012 07:10, schrieb Peter Huebner:

Interesting story. I had bought a 10 year old 745 diesel 1989 (Volkswagen engine, which was also used in the LT van) at 240.000km and drove it until about 390.000 with no major mishaps. The expensive back shock absorbers hat to be changed once, maybe that was the biggest unexpected repair, otherwise drive belts, tires, brakes, just what wears normally. I threw it away last year 22 years old when there was too much rust, steering loosing oil, too uneconomic to invest much more money. I think it had served well and economically.

Besides I had bought the then 10 year old 855 TDI with 210.000 km, has an Audi Diesel engine. Now 310.000 and also nothing really bad happened. Oil consumption about 0,5 l for 15.000 km. Swing arms once a while, now a fronth wheel bearing, once drive belts, tires, brakes but no major stuff which my little one man shop mechanic in a little village in the countryside or I myself could not do. This car is now also 16 years old and within the next years I am expecting that this one will also have to be replaced.

So back to your posting. One colleague at work had also bought a new V70 Diesel. Troubles still under warranty. Your story sounds frightening. There must have happend a quality drop in Volvo cars on the move from the 850 to the V70 models.

I think if you want a reliable car - take a Toyota. They have had very good ratings at the Swedish statitistics on the annual compulsory safety check. Also breakdown statistics of the automobile clubs in my country put Toyota on the first place in reliability.

I have also consulted my mechanic which cars would be easy and cheap to repair, he suggested Volkswagen. There are many around here so if you need used parts they are easily available, the parts aftermarket is big volume and cheap. Every little shop can repair it.

But I must say I like my 855 with automatic gear shift, cruise control, still problemless AC (just coolant change every 2 years), economic fuel consumtion and hope I will still have it running for quite a while.

Do you have Diesel Volvos in NZ? They are not sold in the USA, e.g.

Franz47 EMail im Absender wird nie gelesen. Kontakt hier über die Newsgroup

Reply to
Franz47

In the older models there are virtually none with diesel engines available. The newer models seem to get sold with a lot more diesels, that is, the new and near-new xc90 and the v60s and xc60s that I've seen advertised by dealers. Diesel XC70 seem to be on the market with 2008 and later models only.

Part of the reason for that is probably that traditionally Kiwis have bought only SUV type vehicles and pickup trucks with diesel engines. That seems to be changing however, especially in the station wagon class.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Am 05.07.2012 00:30, schrieb Peter Huebner:

More than half of new sold passenger cars have Diesel engines here in Austria. A diesel engine has been since already in the 1950-ies (or

60-ies) in Mercedes passenger cars, if I remember correctly. After all the fuel prices are soaring and a Diesel engine converts more of the fuel energy into mechanical energy and less into heat than a gasoline engine. The health consequences of Diesel exhaust gases are another story....
Reply to
Franz47

The little Astra (opel) is a great little diesel. Drove one this spring when we were in Austria.

Reply to
clare

Back in the 50s I was living on an island with very few cars on it, so I don't really remember much, I was also a bit young for being a petrol head just yet. Definitely in the 60 those diesel Mercs were loved by taxi drivers, travelling salesmen etc. I remember them well. I also remember one travelling salesman explaining to hitchhiking me how it took him about 10km to wind his up to enough speed to get past a truck on the Autobahn. LOL. I used to drive diesel VW Golf in the 70s and 80s myself, very nice economic yet nippy cars for their time. Oh, and I had a Toyota diesel pickup later, early 80s, but that was very sluggish by comparison. The new VW diesel units are pretty amazing, I dare say.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Practically every automobile company has also Diesels in their smallest models nowadays.

We were visiting vice versa the SW USA this spring, all the beatiful national parks there. We took a Jeep Patriot in LA, brandnew, nice car but also no Diesel availabe in the US. The Diesel version is available in Europe though and is very fuel economic. 6,7 l/100 km which is only a bit more than my Volvo 1997 850 TDI consumes.

Reply to
Franz47