How long would a diesel hybrid last?

From what I've been hearing the Prius should theoretically last longer than a normal gas car because the gas engine is run at optimal rpm's, the transmission has less moving parts and the electric engine lasts practically forever. If this is true, I wonder how long a diesel Prius would last?

One other question. I heard that toyota was not going to make a diesel hybrid because of the cost. If the jump in efficiency from gas only to hybrid was worth the extra cost, why not gas hybrid to diesel hybrid?

Reply to
cr113

A diesel hybrid = not a good combo (both have lots of torque @ low RPM

  • diesel's don't like to be shut down & restarted lots ...)
Reply to
gnu linux

A hybrid system costs anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000 more than a comparable conventional gasoline engine, and a diesel costs anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 more than a comparable conventional gasoline engine. If you combine the premium for a hybrid system and a diesel engine, the premium would be somewhere between $4,000 and $8,000, which is probably more than most people are willing to pay, and the break-even would be even longer than for a gasoline hybrid system. In other words, the market for a diesel hybrid is probably pretty limited.

Reply to
Ray O

I hope toyota makes a small hybrid pickup. I'd kill for a small truck that gets 40 mpg.

Reply to
cr113

There will be a 2009 Acura TSX diesel, with about 53 MPG highway/34 city. No point in complicating things with batteries and motors, since you would get lower highway MPG, and only slightly better city MPG.

What's needed is a plug-in hybrid direct from the factory, not having to get a stock hybrid modified for plug-in capability.

Reply to
SMS

I think a Diesel Hybrid could be made fairly easily if they throw the same Prius technology at it. A diesel engine is more efficient at extracting energy from fuel, and would be even better if it didn't have to idle at standstill.

But it would need to be fully Bio-Diesel rated - B100 in warmer climates. In snow belt areas you would have to switch to petroleum diesel in the winter, unless you heat (and insulate) the entire fuel tank to keep the fuel liquid.

Or two tanks, a little one to start on petroleum diesel, then warm up the gelled peanut or soybean oil in the main tank. The computer should be smart enough to figure it out on it's own.

Scale up the Hybrid Synergy Drive to the size of a Class 8 truck (80,000 Lbs Gross) and NOW you have something. Especially if you slave the GPS to the computer and the trip plan (including the driver logbook) so the computer knows the upcoming terrain ahead. You blow all the battery charge climbing that big grade, because you know there is an equally long downgrade coming that will charge it back up.

(But it won't try that if your logbook shows you have to pull over for some bunk time at the top of the hill. The battery charge will be needed for the cab AC/Heat when parked.)

And the engine can shut off all the way down the backside of the hill - there is an electric air compressor for the brakes and AC, and between regenerative braking and brake resistor banks like in locomotives (when the batteries are full) that is far more effective than engine braking.

But for that one they would need a Vehicle Code waiver in many states to make coasting with the engine off legal - or an over-eager cop could make a whole lot of trouble...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

On the current prius HSD, the battery/electric motor is capable of propelling the car of up to what speed? assuming that the engine will be not allowed to kick in on some speed and it will only be purely the motor and batteries.

Reply to
EdV

Volkswagen is rumored to have plans to introduce exactly that for 2010. I just plunked down a deposit for an 09 Jetta TDI that will deliver 45-50 MPG on the highway with no batteries to contend with. My reason for not considering a Prius is that I drive 50-100K a year, and I just couldn't imagine replacing batteries in one year. The Jetta super green TDI diesel (the only diesel automobile in America approved in all 50 states) could easily deliver 250-300K without a hiccup.

The next few years are going to be "interesting" to say the least for the auto industry.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

100k a year is 273 miles for 365 days a year, woah! The prius has been around for ... say 10 years? There a small significant of owners who said that the batteries have failed. But still. good choice of vehicle for that yearly mileage.
Reply to
EdV

I wish someone would make a small pickup that gets 35-40 mpg. Over the last few years pickups have gotten bigger and bigger. The Tacomas and Nissans are now classified as mid sized. I don't care whether it's diesel or hybrid, I'm just tired of getting in the low 20s mpg. I don't need to haul a lot of weight but trucks are so damn convenient for carrying things like bikes, canoes, rug doctors, etc, etc.

Reply to
cr113

"Willy" ...

Why would you need to replace the batteries after 50K miles? There are Prii with over 200K miles in service as taxis that are doing just fine. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Theoretically, you should be able to get up to full highway speeds

70-ish MPH on electric power alone.

As a practical matter, after about 15 - 25 MPH the computer figures out you aren't in stop and go traffic (and liable to stop again) and starts the engine.

The batteries are more useful for bursts of acceleration, and for the slow creep moves in traffic without starting or idling the engine.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I can get it up to 41 MPH with only electrics [flat or downhill], but it is granny driving to do that. Only OK when no one is around. Then it turns on the engine at 42. Then I can PriusFoot the engine off and go faster on electrics again, but I have not done this as a real test to see how fast I can get it to go this way. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

That depends on how the power is transmitted to the wheels.

With the current Prius, no.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I can Hemi-foot my Mercury Grand Marquis and get it up over 90 mph on just the V8. But I have not done this as a real test to see exactly how fast I can get it to go on just the V8.

Jack

PS: Sorry Tomes, I couldn't resist.

Reply to
Retired VIP

LOL Jack. I enjoyed that too. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Actually many years are more on the order of 70K..... but I've had a couple of years that were over 100K.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

I wish someone would make a small pickup that gets 35-40 mpg. Over the last few years pickups have gotten bigger and bigger. The Tacomas and Nissans are now classified as mid sized. I don't care whether it's diesel or hybrid, I'm just tired of getting in the low 20s mpg. I don't need to haul a lot of weight but trucks are so damn convenient for carrying things like bikes, canoes, rug doctors, etc, etc.

I do too, and I think the solution will be a diesel version in a small pick up - and rumor has it we'll be seeing those from several mfg's in the next two years.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

At 100K a year, and with anticipated battery life (based on what I've read, which is perhaps speculation) of 100K miles, I would need to replace the batteries once a year.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

It is speculation that has not manifested itself. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes