Wired in cell phone

Did anyony install their cell phone using the prewired setup in MB (ML or C280)?

Reply to
casey

You mean to say the type with aerial and amplifier in place. Usually that type of install requires a controller interface and cradle. What did your dealer say about the cars configuration.

Usually they can figure it out just from the chassis number.

Reply to
Miro

For full integration, you would have to buy the phone through your dealer. Although it is a generic Motorola StarTac or V-series phone, it has to have the MB firmware in it before it will communicate with the vehicle, and that will cost you an extra $1,600. There are some people I know of that have installed their own hands-free kit and tapped into the built-in mic and speaker of the Teleaid system and the radio's mute line. I also understand that a new "universal" connection is going to be made available that will allow retro-fitting of certain non-MB cell phones to the system, but I have not actually seen this yet.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

Where can I find information to install a hands free kit? TIA, Al

Reply to
George

Like I mentioned, if you want the official MB integrated version, you'll need to go to your dealer. If you aren't concerned about OEM integration with the radio and/or Teleaid system, then you can install any aftermarket model that's compatible with your phone. I have a Kyocera phone and the handsfree kit is a "portable" unit that simply plugs into the 12V port in the car. For some phone models, you can get a fully installed kit that has a "dock" for the phone and the speaker and mic are somewhat more hidden. Some of these also offer external antenna connections as well. If you want to go the non-MB route, I'd check first with your cell phone manufacturer. Also, you might look into

If you have a supported phone, they are supposed to be the top-of-the-line in aftermarket handsfree kits.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

Miro