Your favorite M-B Ride

Even though the E320/210 body has a nice feature set, I really liked riding in my son's old '83 300DT/123 better. It seemed much more solid on the road.

What's your favorite ride?

Collin KC8TKA

Reply to
Cheesehead

'84 300 SD w126

Billymack

Reply to
BillyMack

For me every ride has been better and the cars more reliable.

'79 300D 123 - loved it at the time but quirky as those older Ds could be sometimes '85 190D 201 - firmer, sportier and more reliable than the '79 - repairs became costly after 150k miles '95 E300D 124 - nearly a perfect car with the non-turbo 606 engine, great ride and very reliable through 210k miles '02 E320 210 - no complaints, my favorite ride to date even though I prefer diesels.

Reply to
Dano

My favorite ride is setting my cruise @ 180 km/hr on my 91 560SEC. Comfortable seats, nice Audio, solid and reliable. The only drawback is the fuel consumption.

Reply to
saeef

Where are you that you can set 180 km on the cruise control?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Dori:

I don't know where HE is, but a friend of mine in Buenos Aires sent me an e-mail about riding in a Mercedes down there, and I thought I misunderstood, because he wrote that they rode at "220 kms." When I wrote back and said that that would be more than 120 miles per hour, he said yes, that was correct; the owner of the car was demonstrating the car's power and how easy it was to control at high speeds....

Reply to
John Cisarik

In Oman. We have a dual carriageway across a desert with few traffics. Actually I drove the car once to 255 km/hr but only for a short time. It want to 240 easy, but from 240 to 255km/hr, it took about 3 kms to reach.Even at these speeds the car was still solid and stable.

Reply to
saeef

Nothing to brag about. Drive at that speed for a couple hundred of kilometers.

255km/h should be nothing for a 560SEC.

cp

Reply to
cp
1938 W125 Streamliner and hits a top speed of 271 mph....oh,sorry that was a dream. ;-)

My 79 450SEL 6.9 by far !!!!!!

Reply to
CaptainW116

e-mail about riding in a Mercedes down there, and I

wrote back and said that that would be more than 120

demonstrating the car's power and how easy it was to

Any of the cheapest and smallest Mazdas, Toyotas or Hondas or VWs will do over

120mph (190km/h), why so surprised? Never been outside of the US? I gave a ride to some guy from Vancouver once to the Expo 2000 in Hannover, 3 lanes of bumper to bumper rush hour traffic at 120mph (190km/h), now that's driving, the poor guy almost passed from fright :-) In Paris, from experience, heavy traffic can move at over 140mph in the tunnels that you can see in the movie Ronin. I've spent thousands of kilometers at over 150mph, nothing to brag about in Europe, you really must do some travel and see how things are done in the rest of the world.

cp

Reply to
cp

It's not the 180 km/h I was querying -- I have exceeded that on many occasions -- it was the fact that he could set cruise control, implying that a few minutes at least could go by at that speed.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I was curious not because you reached 180 km/h, an easily attainable number as cp has also said, but the fact that you have enough space and time to make it worthwhile setting cruise control at that level.

What's the official speed limit?.. :-)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Can be quite a strain on the driver, requiring considerable extra concentration even when the roads are empty.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

-- it was the fact that he could set cruise

Oh I understood what you were saying. I didn't know cruise could be set at that speed. At that speed one ought to be concentrating, cruise control is not for that.

cp

Reply to
cp

concentration even when the roads are empty.

I understand very well :-) but what I was saying is the 560 is capable of more, a friend's cousin at work drives his at over at

280km/h, not in ejaculatory bursts of speed either :-)

cp

Reply to
cp

occasions -- it was the fact that he could set cruise

that speed. At that speed one ought to be concentrating,

In the 560 you don't feel the speed as in some other cars. It drives smooth and effortless at high speeds, it kind of likes to go 160km/hr or more. The curise control works up to 240 km/hr (150 mile/hr). The max speed on the odo is 260 km/hr (163mile/hr).

Reply to
saeef

DAS,

The official speed limit is 120 km/hr. But with very few traffic, curising at 180km is easy and you get used to it. Yes it requires you to be alert and concentrating. The thing you got to watch for is those driving at slower speeds on the right lane and then suddenly decide to cut into your lane.

Reply to
saeef

Yeh, exactly, that's the problem, you don't realize the speed and might not react appropriately if something comes up.

It will go faster! :-)

cp

Reply to
cp

The old 300/320 inline 6 will do a steady 80mph (130kmph) and not feel even a little stress. I've more worries about the transmission than about the engine.

Also, is the correct nomenclature a. kph b. km/hr c. km/h

... or does anyone really care. (Even if you know what time it is.)

Collin KC8TKA E320/97 with wings

Reply to
Cheesehead

I would say c. is the nearest to the SI unit version, thus 'most correct', but a. is widely used in English-speaking countries.

Should be km h(raised to power of minus one), which is a bit clumsy and impossible to render in text-only format.

hr is the English, non-SI unit for hours and is still widely used, but strictly, incorrect.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling