1500 engine wont go above 4500 rpm

Hi!

Could anyone help me with this? I finished my Midget 1978 but it wont go above the

4500 rpm! it has everything: a good ignition system, Weber carburettor conversion, amd it even sounds great! up to 4500 rpm, it runs smooth, but if i want to go above that, it loses power like if it did not had enough gasoline or something.

My mechanic suggests that we open the engine, clean it entirely, put clean oil and new gaskets and a "Prolong" treatment. or maybe it needs an additional fuel pump? (it only has the mechanic one)

Does anybody agrees/disagrees? i know its not enough information, but any feedback will be very appreciated.

Thanks! Michael

Reply to
Minime

Check the auto advance on the ignition timing.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Thanks, Joe! I will check that with an electrician.

Reply to
Minime

Well he would, wouldn't he.

I cant say what the problem is but it doesn't need an additional fuel pump. If the original is working it will be pumping enough fuel. If its not, fix it or replace it maybe with an aftermarket one. But additional, just not needed.

It is fuel or electrical, probably electrical.

What opening the engine and cleaning it will do is beyond me.

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Is it just under load it falters or will it rev freely in neutral? Will it for example go faster down hill? If you build up speed to as fast as it will go, then release the throttle for 10 secs or so, it will give float bowls time to fill up. If it then goes better but then dies, it is fuel starvation. Hasve you checked that ther is no air lock in fuel tank. Try it with no fuel cap on. Air lock probs worse when fuel tank is full.

JSM

Reply to
James Mather

I assume that the cam timing is OK and that it is not fitted a tooth out. Worth checking. Can prob be done with just rocker cover off and with a DTIndicator James

Reply to
James Mather

Reply to
steve-s

Also check that the distributor drive has been fitted correctly. I have suffered from both this fault and the incorrect cam / crank timing due to previous owners. In both cases, the engine ran OK-ish at low speed.

Mike Mnemonic

68 & 72 Midget
Reply to
Mike Mnemonic

No, even downhill it will have trouble when passing 4500 rpm.

i will check that also, thanks!! :)

Reply to
Minime

Thanks for the feedback! Michael

Reply to
Minime

Check that you do not have any broken or faulty valve springs.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

hmmm...you made me think. this engine can deliver more power than we commonly think...

Reply to
Minime