MGF Head Gasket Failiure

: > Those that are fannied about tend to go... : : It had no go below 4000, so why run it below that? It was only about : 22mph/thousand in top anyway so motoray cruise was 5000rpm. : : : -- : Teal'c: "Dr Jackson's preliminary electroencephalogram proved anomalous" : O'Neill: "I dare you to say that again"

"Legal" Motorway cruising with my "K" series is at 2900rpm. 5000rpm equates to around 110mph.

-- VOTE FOR AN INDEPENDENT ENGLAND VOTE SNP

uNkulunkulu uMvelinqangi Mina bona wena mina bona lo mombi yena lo shatini Skat lo Boss yena fika, nika yena iwhisky

snipped-for-privacy@izulu.kya.kamina

Reply to
uNkulunkulu

fourth and fifth were broken...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

On yours?

Can't say what the top end is on mine as at 6000rpm (around 125-130 mph) there is still some revs left. All speedometer indications as there is no gps fitted.

-- VOTE FOR AN INDEPENDENT ENGLAND VOTE SNP

uNkulunkulu uMvelinqangi Mina bona wena mina bona lo mombi yena lo shatini Skat lo Boss yena fika, nika yena iwhisky

snipped-for-privacy@izulu.kya.kamina

Reply to
uNkulunkulu

Thanks to everyone for your advice etc. It was the head gasket, it hadnt caused any damage to the engine so the total bill was =A3659.

This was from an MG garage (where I bought it and serviced it), also included in the price was a cambelt change and a 1 year garauntee.

The garage had the car just under 2 weeks, but infairness to them I hadnt booked it in (since I didnt know it was going to breakdown) and it was over Christmas so it only accounted for 6 working days. Thanks

David Bevan

junk1

K series engine head gaskets fail at around 60,000miles, little pegs on the head stop the gasket from spreading - originally they were plastic pegs and now they are metal. Replace pegs and uprated head gasket and water pump (because that fails at around that time, too). It costs around $NZ 2,200.00 from Rover, from others it is around $NZ1,250.00.

I hope this is helpful to you,

Bloggs.

Reply to
Bloggs