Convert Rear windows to Opening

Is there any problem with fitting opening windows to the rear of a 78 Mayfair please? i.e. if I pick up the windows and seal will they fit the existing aperture?

Reply to
Guy Smith

Make that a 1983 Mayfair

Reply to
Guy Smith

yes, they will, you have to carfully measure the location of the hinge mounting holes in the rear quarter so the window sites properly, the rubber seal will just stick in.

jon

Reply to
Barspeed and his magical Mini

When I first read this I thought you were going to make it do what my 206sw does and open the rear screen. That would be cool. Then you could get a surf board in :D

The Muffin Man

------------- Get FREE newsgroup access from

The Muffin Man

Well if it is a Mayfair, it really should have had rear opening windows anyway. But if it's been converted to sealed jobs, the holes should already be present?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

My Mayfair also had fixed rear windows,

I converted to opening ones because I was having difficulty fitting the fixed ones back in after the rebuild, and I had a set anyway. I held them in place whilst I drilled the front hinge holes and once they were screwed in place drilled the holes for the over-centre catch making sure it was a tight fit.

Reply to
TurboJo

But all Mayfair's were supposed to have opening rear windows! Are you sure yours was a Mayfair and not a City or a special edition of some kind?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Only going by the log book that says it is a Mayfair.

It has been around a bit, when I was doing the bodywork I found that it has been resprayed 4 times over the years so a different set of rear window could have crept in any time. I supose it could even have been built on a different shell at some time as both doors were from a different car, they started off lime green and the shell had never been that colour.

Reply to
TurboJo

It's back on the road again,

My son is using it as his daily driver. I need to concentrate on getting my Mini back together. I've been at mine for 4 years, lost a bit of motivation over the winter, too cold in the garage.

TurboJo

Looking good to me!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Hey Turbo, the picture of your mini rebuild, lots of new bits, engine painted, flip front, etc etc etc,,, what a familiar sight, we have probably all been at this stage more than once, I was at this stage last year, now its finally ready,

3 years later, good luck, Fitzy
Reply to
Fitzy