Dashpot spring

Hello

Got mine throught the MOT today, it only needed about 6 hours work. Oddly enough no welding?

Anyway is there a way to tell if the spring is too hard or too soft?

I think mine is wrong as it runs fine under light throttle, try any more and it coughs while the revs pick up and then starts accelerating properly.

Im guessing its the spring as everything else looks ok and I did fit a (red?) spring a while ago and now wonder if it might be too hard?

cheers

-anthony

Reply to
Anthony

sound like no oil in the dashpot. what spring do you have fitted? it should have one of the end coils painted. should be red or yellow, but u don't specift the engine, and what carb u are running.

Reply to
twowrunkles

sorry just reread your post. red is a light spring (4.5oz) compared to the yellow 8oz spring. did you fill up the dashpot after changing the spring? generally a spring change requires a mixture adjustment.as a general rule richer with stiffer spring and leaner with softer ones but it depends if the spring change is accompanied by other changes in the induction tract.

Reply to
twowrunkles

I would reccomend a yellow spring as red is too soft. How much modding have you done to it - stage 1? sports exhaust air filter and poss inlet and exhaust manifolds? With a red spring, when you floor it in 1st from standing, the plunger in the carb flies up, chucking far too much petrol in the engine, and you get a juddery if not stalling start, then it only takes off after around 2000 rpm.

Reply to
ADD

Thanks for all the replies.

The engine is a 1275 MG metro lump with a 1.75 SU, K&N, and a minisport sureflow (RC40 equivelent) exhaust.

The fault I have occurs anywhere up to about 3000rpm and clears after that. it doesnt require flooring any thing over about quarter throttle causes the problem.

cheers

-anthony out and about so different email

Reply to
anthony

Ah replying to my own posts, I changed the dashpot oil to 30W50 nd its running much better now. Im guessing the spring is probrably ok and it might have been the oil?

cheers

-anthony

Reply to
Anthony