Finding out what Diff Ratio you have fitted

Is there any way of finding out what Diff Ratio is fitted without actually counting the teeth?

Reply to
TurboJo

Yes it involves jacking a wheel up, sticking the car in fourth and then counting how many times the engine turns exactly(might be easier with spark plugs out of course!) I think you might have to do a bit of maths to allow for idler gear ratios if you have anything abnormal but I don't think they make a great deal of difference as you have a few ratios that are standard 3.44 ,3.105, 2.9 etc

Hope that made some sense!

miniman

Reply to
miniman

Do you mean 1 revolution of the engine to 3.44 of the wheel?

Reply to
TurboJo

no i think he means 3.44 engine to 1 wheel ????

Reply to
jacko

Yep It would be about 3.44 engine to 1wheel(discounting idler gear variations!)

I have a 3.105 diff which has 59teeth and the pinion has 19teeth

It should be reasonably easy to guesstimate the fractions of a turn on your pulley by marking it with something bright so you can see how far it goes round!

I am tempted to fit a 2.9 now my supercharger is running sweetly, it is a bit noisy on the open road at anything above 80mph!

m> no i think he means 3.44 engine to 1 wheel ????

Reply to
miniman

My 998 cc 1984 Mini had a small square red sticker on the diff: FB 20/59. 59 devided by 20 gives 2,95 and that's the ratio. If you are lucky your diff has a sticker on it, so i suggest you look for it now!

John Holland

"TurboJo" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@karoo.co.uk...

Reply to
John Reinders