Re: fitting an exhaust on an SPi

Hi Tristan,

I have had to do the exact same job and it is a pain. Unless you have access to a garage, a set of ramps or a lift then forget accessing the bolts from underneath, an extension bar will help but the angle on the coupling makes it impossible to get the socket on for a good grip. I too was loathe to take the injection system off BUT! it is not as hard as it look, basically it is near enought the same as a carb model just with more wires. You cannot get the wires back in the wrong place, all the plugs and receptacles are keyed and are different sizes. If in doubt label them up! The Inlet Manifold will come off complete with the injection system, just lay a cloth on your wing and roll it over onto that, be aware of drips of petrol that may escape. Also! another important thing, you will see on the bulkhead the fuel inlet and return pipes, these MUST be replaced in the same position, otherwise the car will not start and when you undo them again you will get showered in petrol! So basically thats it, the whole procedure took me about 3 hours start to finish. Hope that helps!

Andy

Hello everyone > > Just bought a nice play mini/maniflow system for my friends 1994 SPi > cooper and I'm after a bit of advice. > > Having a look at where the front pipe meets the manifold, the three > bolts to the manifold look rediculosly inaccessible. When i've done > exhasuts on carb minis i found the easiest way to access the clamp is > take the carbs off, but i'm loathe to de-plumb and unwire the > injection system in the same way. I'm thinking maybe I could get to it > from underneath with a socket on two extention bars and a universal > joint, but this seems a bit far fetched... > > Has anyone done this job? is it easier to access the thing from top or > bottom? Is taking the injection out as bad as it looks for a half > competent mechanic? Also, does anyone know if these nuts and the one > on the cat are metric or imperial? I think its just the rust, but > nothing seems to fit! > > Haynes manual, as ever is useless. > > Thanks in advance! > > Tristan
Reply to
Andrew Davenport