Stripped thread

Whilst draining the oil from the sump of my 1989 Mini 998 the thread on the aluminium engine casing for the oil drain bolt stripped. Does anyone know how best to fix this? Is helicoiling an option and is it easily done in situ or can anyone suggest another method?

Thanks, Albert

Reply to
ln1gaw

Hey, helicoiling can be done "in situ" for this job.... it makes it a much better thread than it previously was.

Make sure however that you get a professional to do it, as if it's slightly out it can cause problems....

Should only cost you about £20 to get done.

HTH

Mick

Reply to
Mick Rouse

Mick, Thanks, a very useful tip. Can you suggest the type of place that do this kind of work? Albert

Reply to
ln1gaw

Albert, i've e-mailed you.

Ta

Mick

Reply to
Mick Rouse

FWIW. I saw a product the other day for replacing stripped threads. It was an epoxy cement. You thoroughly cleaned the hole, applied a release agent to the bolt, squidged the stuff on and set the bolt in the hole. When the goo set you unscrewed the bolt. I wouldn't like to trust my life to it but, especially if there is a bit of original tread, it might be worth a try even for a temporary fix. It was made by Loctite, I think.

Graham L

Reply to
GrahamL

Evostick will work and its cheap

Reply to
Dr F.G. Manner-Moore

drill it out and get a bigger sump plug ..

Pannawonica ..

Reply to
Pannawonica