S4 v8 check control for low engine oil

Hi

Audi S4 v8 2003 UK spec - can anyone shed any light on correct operation of low engine oil level warning in check control.

I don't think mine is working properly! A few months back, I went on a touring holiday, and checked all levels before start of journey. After a fairly sedate 250 (ish) mile trip from home to ferry port, a very high speed blast from Brittany, north France, down to Andorra in the Pyrenees followed. A few more days blasting around hairpins and steep inclines and downhills, and I noticed the washer fluid level check symbol in the dash. At the next fuel stop, I topped up the screen washers, and also dipped the oil. To my amazement, the oil level was right on the minimum on the dipstick, but the oil check light in the dash didn't come on. Waited another five or so minutes to make sure oil had drained down to the sump to re-dip the oil level. Whilst waiting, turned on the ignition to see the check control warnings, the washer fluid level warning now cleared (because I had just brimmed the reservoir), so I pressed the "check" button on the dash. It went through all the check control functions (including oil level) and said "OK" at the end.

I had covered about 1,500 to 2,000 miles since start of trip, and whilst it doesn't surprise me that it gulped all that oil, bearing in mind the nature of roads, and the "fun" I had been enjoying, I am really surprised the oil level went to smack on the minimum on the dipstick, but the check control light did not warn me. With the washer warning, I guess the washer bottle was about two-thirds empty, so the check control for that gives you plenty of warning before running your screenwashers dry.

After topping it up with 1 litre of Castrol SLX II, I found an Audi dealer and purchased another 4 litres for contingency whilst in the Pyrenees. I checked the oil every other day, and it used another litre and half whilst in the hills, but then settled to a more moderate thirst for the slippery stuff once back home, and being used more sedately!!

A couple of months later, at 6,000 miles, I changed the oil and filter. After draining the sump, I turned on the ignition, but the oil level check control light still didn't illuminate in the dash, so my guess is that it is not working.

Can anyone out there confirm one way or the other before I go bashing (metaphorically speaking ) on the Audi Service Counter desk, and request a warranty fix.

-- Regards, Sean

CBR6FX | 2003 Audi S4 v8

__\\|//__ ( ©¿©¬) ___ooO__O__Ooo__ !___!_____!_____ !_

Reply to
Teutonic Tamer UK

The oil warning lamp is normally only oil pressure warning, when it is on it is often too late.

Greetings Aksel

"Teutonic Tamer UK" skrev i en meddelelse news:bv3nr3$p72$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com...

Reply to
Aksel

[snipped]

Oil usage aside, the oil check warning may only be active when the engine is running but the oil pressure is very nearly zero. This is why we'd all rather have a true pressure gage if anything.

In any case, one would think the users manual would be helpful in this matter....

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

I've wondered this too-- the other responders talking about oil pressure are confused. The new A4's check system has a RED (priority one) warning for oil pressure AND a YELLOW (priority two) warning for low oil LEVEL. I've never let mine go low enough to see the warning, so it doesn't surprise me if it doesn't work.

Reply to
Jay Jones

skrev i en

correct

when it is on it

It's not an oil warning lamp. It should be a pictogram in the LCD display between the tacho and speedo.

-- Regards, Sean

CBR6FX | 2003 Audi S4 v8

__\\|//__ ( ©¿©¬) ___ooO__O__Ooo__ !___!_____!_____ !_

Reply to
Teutonic Tamer UK

the engine is

we'd all rather

In an ideal world ........

in this

Yup, manual in hand right now!

-- Regards, Sean

CBR6FX | 2003 Audi S4 v8

__\\|//__ ( ©¿©¬) ___ooO__O__Ooo__ !___!_____!_____ !_

Reply to
Teutonic Tamer UK

pressure are

warning for

LEVEL. I've

surprise me

Yup, you're right. According to the manual, you are spot on. Red, priority one for low oil pressure, accompanied by three chimes, and yellow priority two, with one warning chime. For the yellow (p.2) warnings, there are two for the oil; one for low oil level, and another faulty oil level sensor.

All check control functions should work (according to the manual) by being checked constantly, both when the ignition is switched on, AND when the vehicle is moving. Come to think of it, the low washer fluid level pinged when ignition was turned on, before firing up the motor.

I never usually let any levels get low, religiously checking every week. The first 2,000 miles of normal driving, it didn't drink a drop of oil, so I was pretty surprised when it drunk so much over a relatively short distance. I suppose high revs and high engine braking will have an increased appetite.

-- Regards, Sean

CBR6FX | 2003 Audi S4 v8

__\\|//__ ( ©¿©¬) ___ooO__O__Ooo__ !___!_____!_____ !_

Reply to
Teutonic Tamer UK

--snip--

I'm not too sure about that. Why would I want my Audi's DIC constantly telling me there's no oil pressure when the car isn't running? Anybody know what kind of sensor is used and where? I doubt it's a float switch in the sump. Next time you drain the oil, turn the ignition on and see if you get the warning.

Romy

Reply to
Romy

the

oil

manual)

switched

'Tis correct my friend - the owners manual clearly states so (I'm not gonna type it parrot fashion, but I had double-checked my previous double-check ).

switch in the

Any takers?

you get

If you read the original post, you'll see I have already tried this. The answer was no.

-- Regards, Sean

CBR6FX | 2003 Audi S4 v8

__\\|//__ ( ©¿©¬) ___ooO__O__Ooo__ !___!_____!_____ !_

Reply to
Teutonic Tamer UK

Sean, The difference in driving might account for the drop in oil level. When new oil is put in the car, some of that volume will be consumed (volatilize) when the engine gets up to temperature. Hard driving will cook the oil down even more. Dino oils are more susceptible to this initial volume drop, but I have seen it using Mobil1 in my 5ktq. If the warning for low oil volume does not come on when the oil is being changed, then something must be wrong with the sensor. Maybe ask the dealer the next time you have it in for service to explain the lack of signal. If they are changing the oil - have them show to you that the sensor works. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - Mobil 1 since I got it. 1980 Audi 5k - Mobil 1 was a big mistake (darn cork valve cover gasket...) 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - no oil to change - just put it in the gas (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

How does the car check oil pressure when the engine isn't running? And just outta curiosity, do you ever get varying oil pressure readings with the engine off? :o)

Romy

Reply to
Romy

Hi,

Yes it works. The yellow (oil level) light came on in my A4 -99.5. The oil level was just on minimum line and it happened about 25 000 km after latest service.

-JP

Jay J> I've wondered this too-- the other responders talking about oil pressure are

Reply to
J.P.