Your mini history

i have noticed on this board, most of the posts on here are of a technical nature. Im sure a lot of you out there have amusing/interesting stories while out in your minis, why not share them with everyone here in this post.

just an idea

RS

Reply to
RS

Oh god I could rattle on for days about my experience in Minis, I mean I've almost continually owned one and driven one since late 1984, but from a very early age I was travelling in Mini's because 2 of my cousins had them and my father drove a Mini Van for work. So just where do I start?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

I remember once a little old lady came in and asked us to help her because she was having trouble with her mini.As the officially designated mini owner at the time it fell to me to give her a hand. She said that she was having trouble with her spare tyre, she was going on a journey and wanted to check the pressure etc before she went, but that she thought there was a problem with the valve or something as she could not get any air into it.

When I picked up the tyre I immediately knew something was wrong with it, it just did not feel right. she told me that she had only managed to get about

5 psi in it. She said that the meter just kept stopping and that she had put about a pounds worth of 20p's in it.

I gingerly checked the pressure with our gauge. Yep, about 80psi. She had been reading the Bar gauge instead and just kept going trying to put more air in. And it was a 145s10 aswell on and old tatty steel rim.

Ben

Reply to
Ben & Claire

Ok a short bit from history or how not to learn to drive in a Mini too. Right I inherited the family Mini, it was a badly neglected (it was my sisters car first, but her then boyfriend/later husband now divorced used to drive about in it mostly and it hadn't been serviced/oil changed for years, it had no brakes, the battery was knackered and it was in an overall bad shape) 1975 Tahiti Blue MKIII Mini 1000, as soon as I got hold of it my father and I sorted out the problems, carried out a full oil change/service, we even decoked the engine and adjusted the tappets etc and soon it was running like a watch and had brakes that worked too. Right I was learning to drive in a school of motoring horrible silver Vauxhall Nova but as I had the Mini I was having lessons in that too, plus a friend of mine could drive so he'd sit next to me also. Anyway I was getting very cocky and I'm not proud (damned embarrassed now really) but I'd go off to Porthcawl (seaside town about 30 miles from my house) and on one road leading out it was a long down hill sweeping sort of country road that ended with a bend and as it was around Easter the road was pretty quiet. Okay I was driving, my friend who could drive was sitting next to me and there were 2 other friends in the back and we ok I used to drive down that road, flat out and the speedometer which read up to 95mph on that Mini, anyway the needle was going past that and heading for the F for full on the fuel gauge and I did all this wearing L' plates and we'd get to the bottom, go around the roundabout and travel back up the hill to do it again, several times! Well it was like riding on a roller coaster I guess. But as I said earlier, this was around Easter time during 1985 and the BBC had shown The Italian Job on TV in the January and i'd taped it and had been watching it quite a few times. Anyway I then passed my driving test in that Mini and I can remember back then the firm I was working for had a sort of day trip to Porthcawl and we took our cars, so my Mini was full with a bloke in the passenger seat and two young girls in the back. When we headed off home I took a different route to everyone else and drove down that road and yes put my foot down and watched the speedo needle shoot around, well when we got to the bottom and hit the bend it really was like being on a roller coaster ride because the girls in the back were screaming.

Yes I was a Mini hooligan and i'm not proud, but I got my comupance one night or early one morning really when I went with my friends to follow a local car rally around the Brecon (heard of the Brecon Beacons? Well it wasn't far from there really) area and at about 3am I drove off the road and straight into a tree, well I had only just passed my driving test a week or so and was inexperienced, but I was really trying to get out of the way of a rally car (bloody MKI Escort) that was charging up behing me and I thought the folk in the road ahead was a turning, but it wasn't it was the muddy entrance to a farm. Okay I bent the front subframe but the Mini eventually got fixed (in fact I got it sprayed in it's original colour but added a white roof like a Cooper and it got all new shiny brightwork too), but comupance number too was around the corner. I found myself once again in Porthcawl, alone this time though as it was a blazing hot summer day and I just fancied a drive, anyway on the way home whilst travelling down that road, yes the fast country downhill road I was tootling along at say 50mph which seemed like nothing when I was used to doing around the ton (there's a speed limit there now and signs stating 40mph!) and I had my window open because it was quite hot and as the sun was in my eyes it didn't occur to me straight away that the lorry in front had suddenly stopped on the hill, so by the time it registered and I hit the brakes, which locked up (they were drums all round of course), I just skidded straight in to the back of the lorry and sort of bounced off! What happened was a taxi pulled out in front of the lorry, the lorry smashed into the back of that, completely wrecking it and I just smashed into the back of the lorry. Well I wasn't too happy, but what could I do? My poor Mini needed yet another new grille, headlight rings and some unbending of one front wing.

Well I thought I was jinxed, but once the Mini was fixed again! I just got back in it and got back on the road, but I did learn to respect speed limits and to stay well back from vehicles in front, well whilst I was driving a Mini with drum brakes anyway.

Ok sorry that was meant to be a short bit from my own personal history, in fact it was a snippet from 1985 and I could tell many more stories too, but I think I've bored you all enough for now?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy