1996 Mirage S

Hey all- I have a 1996 Mirage S. I do most of my own mechanical work but I need help. I bought this car in Sept 2007 from a friend at the office.I only has 85,000 miles on it at this time. My main issue is that it mustconstantly does not get the gas through properlybecause when I take my foot off the gas, the car stalls out. It will do this at stoplights,in the driveway,etc.. I have changed the filters, tuned it up(w some assitance),etc. Could it be that the C02 filter needs to be changes or what? This is my main mode of transportation other than riding my bicycle or my motorcycle during the summer SO any help is most appreciated. I cannot afford to take this to a mechanic. I had to once and he cleaned out my bank account(He must of seen me coming from a mile away). :( :?: :roll:

Reply to
burkec1

OK, here's what you do.

  1. Inspect all the vacuum hoses and the brake booster hose for rips or cracks. Replace or fix the hose.

  1. With someone keeping the engine running, listen for any hissing sounds from the hoses in #1. This will ID any hose with a non-obvious problem.

  2. Look on the top or rear edge of the throttle body. There's a black 10mm cover plug (it may be missing) under which is an approx 8mm head phillips screw. This is the Air Idle jet. Try to screw this out a bit: the idle speed should come up. This may be all that's needed.

  1. Look how the throttle body is attatched to the intake by 4 bolts. Take off the big intake tube and look inside the throttle body. If there's a build up of oily carbon, remove the throttle body and clean it up with throttle body cleaner or brake cleaner.

  2. Look at the air cleaner: there's a harness connector for the MAF sensor. With the engine running, disconnect the MAF sensor cable. The engine should run a bit faster. Put the cable back.

  1. Your 96 has an OBD2 ECU system. Is the Check Engine light on? If so, you need to get the error code if any, well, decoded. This will tell what may be wrong,or at least where to start looking.

  2. Verify that the cam belt and ignition timing is correct if you know how.

  1. Remove the gas cap and drive the car. Does the engine still stall? If not, you have a problem with the gas return or evaporative system.

  2. If you can get the firewall mounted fuel filter out without breaking hoses or connections, give it a reverse direction squirt of compressed air. This will clean out most blockages.
Reply to
Stewart DIBBS