TPS Setting for 1991 Galant 2.0 (2023 Update)

I was wondering if anyone knows the exact setting for the TPS? I have a feeling I have it's set pretty close but not sure. The car is a 91 Galant 2.0 FI. Thank You!

Reply to
Dom M

With the throttle closed adjust the TPS to obtain 0.5VDC between terminals 2 & 4 (#1 is power, +5VDC). Be sure to use a digital ohm meter to minimize the load and give the most accurate reading.

After setting the TPS move the throttle slowly from fully closed to fully open and back to fully closed and verify that the voltage change is smooth and without fluctuations. If there are fluctuations in the voltage then the TPS should be replaced.

Reply to
Gyzmologist

Thanks for your sharing. I have a 8 Valve version of the infamous VR4 or Galant - what a problem to service this monster! First and most annoying is that Japanese engineers don't share anything To locate the "fort-knox" information on how to correctly set this cars TPS is virtually impossible. Some of them (this one) have NO set throttle stop at 850 RPM or "guide-stop" You run around in twirly whirly circles to experiment even asking AI doesn't help. The final solution on this is to leave some small airgap so the engine doesnt stalll and then set your 0.5V (734.0 Ohms). However, if the automatic transmission ECU isn't happy with talking to the engine ECU about this after re-connecting the battery {reset} then do it again and again until the engine settles down to its comfortable 855 RPM idle. I haven't even tried ALLDATA .... my god, i would die of a heart attack before finding the correct Japanese data. [ this specific NZ assembled car from 1992 has COMPLETELY different throttle body to any of the others - seems to be Japanese 1988 truck/van that they wanted to get rid of their old parts and send them to NZ to get rid of them ]

Run from these cars - even Haynes manuals in good old-fashioned print have nothing!

Reply to
carryontryingarbage