1997 Galant: idle problem

Hi,

97 Galant ES, 2.4L auto trans, 93000miles. Last friday, when I started the car at noon after a break of about 30 mins, the car stalled. In the morning I noticed the rpm was low on drive (around 600), but it never stalled. I towed the car to the garage. There it started fine, but the check engine light was ON. After connecting the code reader ("snapon"), the engine started to rev up and down between 1000 to 1500 at idle. The code reader says "idle speed control motor" is bad. The mechanic also told me that I should change front and rear O2 sensors as the readings are out of range. I will be ordering the parts through the dealer on Monday. I am posting this to get you guys expert opinion on this and/or sugestions before I actually go and order the parts. Thanks in advance.
Reply to
morshedbashir

A new ISC from the dealer is costly. You can find them all over Ebay that still test good.

The ISC is a stepper motor that controls a valve seat in the throttle body. The computer send a signal to it's coils causing it to open or close an air by-pass which controlls idle speed. They can be checked in minutes with a meter to see if they're any good and some folks even repair them.
If I had your problem, I'd clean the throttle and all of the intake parts with M.C.C.C. or SeaFoam.

If you do need parts

These guys have been around and are trusted. Pricing is well below the dealer and shipping is fast.I've been doing business with Josh for almost a decade.

Reply to
simpleton