2000 Eclipse Overheating

Hey guys!! I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. The car used to overheat a lot not to the highest point cause I would catch it on time to prevent it from getting there. I changed the radiator, also changed the head gaskets and all the related items. I've been using the car fine ever since but for some reason no matter how much coolant/water mix I add into the cooling system, the engine seems to kick it back out after some time. If I am not monitoring the water reserve of the car, the car can easily overheat. I noticed that a couple of days ago when I got back from a trip and drove my car for about an hour. The engine was throwing hot vapor out on the reserve tank. I guessed it had no water so I started adding water until it cooled down slowly and the engine went back to normal temperature. I don't understand why the engine is not working well. The water that the engine kicked back seemed dirty (brownish color) and now that I filled it up again it's starting to behave like that again. Please let me know what I could do to find out the problem since the car works fine besides that issue and I really want to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Regards,

Teo

Reply to
Metalaid

What method are you using to ensure all air is purged from the system? Do you have the heater full on? You should be able to fill the rad to the top, then with the cap off, run the engine till hot. When the thermostat opens, the level should drop, and you add perhaps another 2 liters...

Is the thermostat opening?

Did you change the water pump?

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Hi Stewart,

Yes I changed the water pump. I ran the engine until it got hot and added some more water/coolant. What I see is that after some time the engine starts burping out all the water. What I did to remove the air from the engine cooling system was to add water, let it throw some out then fill it out again while running. That seemed to take care of the problem. But now I am scared that after a week or two of running the engine the cooling system might run dry again. There are no leaks that I see and the car was checked for that. I don't know what else to do. Thanks,

Teo

Reply to
Metalaid

head gasket?

whats the oil look like?

Reply to
someone

Are any of the main hoses soft and squishy? Old hoses can get sucked flat when the engine is running, causing overheating.

Aside from the above, either there's still air in the system, or you may have a head gasket problem. Get an engine compression leak down test. Note this is NOT the same as a simple dry/wet compression test. This will tell whether a head gasket is leaking.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Hey..hope you've solved your overheating problem with your eclipse. I've never experienced an overheating problem with my 2001, but I was having problems with the vehicle starting up on the first attempt. So, I would have to restart it, and it would chuggle a couple of times then start. I noticed that the temp gauge had to be above cold before the car would actually stay started. I live in Florida, and the temps are always a modest warm even in the winter, so there's no reason for this. I took it to my mechanic last friday and asked him to solve the problem. They did a partial tune-up (they say they did) including: changing some plugs, filter, injectors, etc. Less than one week later, my car had been sitting all day long, and when I left this friday to go home from work, after driving about 5 miles from my job, my car started spitting out some white steam from the hood. I immediately got off the road, and turned off the engine, lifted the hood, and the steam roared out, but it didn't take more than 5 minutes for the dusk to settle. I had parked in front of a firestone store, and one of the mechanics looked under the hood and felt the hose...one hose (the lower one) was hot, and the upper hose (the one connected to the engine) was cold. He thinks that the hose may be clogged, or the thermostat is bad. My brother in NYC, is a self taught mechnanic, but my father was a mechanic for 40 yrs. (deceased now)...my brother says that it sounds like its' the thermostat, and that I should go and have an auto mechanic replace it. I plan to take it back to my initial mechanic because this problem did not incur until after they serviced my car one week ago from the date of the occurrence. In my eyes, they are responsible for the problem.

What do you think may be wrong with my vehicle???

Also, the " check engine light " came on after I purchased the vehicle last April 2006; it was fixed, then it came back on..but the car runs like a precious jewel otherwise........

soccermary,

Reply to
soccermary