99 Spyder crankshaft pulley

I have a 1999 eclipse spyder; the crankshaft pulley fell off and it does not appear to have mounting hardware. I put the pulley back on but a few days later it fell off again. Is this something that needs to be pressed on or somehow permanently mounted,or does worn belts/not sufficiently tightned, contribute to this problem?

Reply to
Milpay

Was this the outer section of the pulley? Its a common problem: the outer section is bonded to the inner with a rubber ring that fails. Get a new (or used) pulley.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

This pulley is actually a harmonic damper that is used to lessen vibration caused when the crankshaft twists during engine operation. There is an inner hub that is cast and an outer pulley that drives the belts. Between them is a vulcanized rubber piece that fails, allowing the two to separate.

JNZ has them for $101

Here's a page that helps explain the forces these dampers see and what they're used for:

simpleton