Burning oil '98 GS-T eclipse

hi all,

my 98 GS-T started burning oil. It will use about a qt. in 200 miles!

93,000 miles. The car runs perfect, # 3 plug looks just a little black not oily though, all the rest clean. Checked the vent from the valve cover-not it. Checked the intake and exaust sides of turbo and very little oil residue on both sides. I'm wondering if it might be the turbo oil seal on the exaust side or valve seals. It will smoke at high rpms only as far as I can tell. Does anyone know if it will puff smoke in the morning like an old chevy if its the valve seals? It doesnt seam to do that. Any other ideas? TIA
Reply to
ScottM

Is it burning oil or just losing ?? When you say burning is there any signs from your exhaust. I would be checking your oil circuit for any leaks, some leaks are only seen under pressure, so i would be checking for any signs of leaking.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Yes, it will. Normally starts at about the 180,000km mark. Your problem is likely a stuck oil ring on #3. The best test is to accelerate at night. The oil smoke is very visible when back lit by following vehicles.

There are products that you can pour into the cylinders to disolve carbon build up. It runs into the sump of course so you have to change the oil once the treatment is done.

Also check for oil leaks.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Update, no leaks, found play in turbo shaft and was told that could cause it to burn alot of oil (leak oil from turbo into intake) Anyone seen this before? Know of a good place to buy a rebuild kit? TIA

Reply to
Scott M

Nobody rebuilds the T25 turbo. It's a pathetic turbo and not worthy of being on the car. Go to

for some ideas.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

It does make for a decent door stop.

Reply to
simpleton

What's wrong with them? Just wear out too fast?

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Too small and doesn't provide any real power. The 16G is the minimum I'd run on a 2G. Essentially the same engine (reversed) is in the EVO and they don't use a T25. They just used a tiny turbo, only fit for honduhs, because Americans don't like turbo-lag. They were wrong.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

If you intend to keep the car stock, it is fine. In an attempt to reduce lag, Mitsu fitted a turbo that is very small and is working very hard to do what it does. If you want more out of it, well it's nice to want but you're not going to get much more than hot air. As Nobody stated, the 16G is a really good pick, especially the EVOIII 16G. The T-25 just sucks and there's no reason to rebuild one. A better plan for someone on a budget would be a used 14B that might cost you $100 and the plumbing to make it fit.

Reply to
simpleton

Ever rebuild a turbo? Do you have any tips for me when I tear into this one? This will be my first one, I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

1.Yes, I want to keep it stock, the car runs awesome, it just has slop in the shaft and is burning oil.
  1. Is there a straight bolt on turbo? ( I don't like screwing with thing to "make" them work).
3.Where do you buy good used turbos for $100?
  1. Why do you say the T25 doesnt work, sucks, don't rebuild it, ect. when the car runs so good ?(lots of power for a 2 liter).Is there a reason they are NOT rebuildable?
5.Should I just take it off and throw it in the trash, then plumb the exhaust without it because it just makes hot air anyway?
  1. I don't want a race car, I just want it to run good(which it already does) and not burn oil.
7.Any one out there have real experiance with rebuilding turbos? Anyone with real experiance have any tips on rebuilding this thing, it went 90K miles the first time, I'll be very happy if it goes half that much the next.

TIA

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

You can't rebuild it safely yourself. It really should be balanced at high RPM, especially with the T25. It probably spins 165,000 RPM.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

You're late in this game but start here:

If you had a proper benchmark, you would relate to the comments about the little turbo.

This is bolt on.
Here's one for $120

simpleton

Thanks for the info. Does the t25 not do what it was designed to do? Does it not provide the correct amount of boost for the stock engine? Does it not help with turbo lag issues while still providing the correct amount of boost? Would a different turbo have gone alot more than 90k miles before wearing out the bearings? I'm just trying to understand why you and "nobody" hates it so much. ???? TIA

Shoe Salesman

"Does the t25 not do what it was designed to do?"

Just barely. It is at capacity on our cars.

"Does it not provide the correct amount of boost for the stock engine?"

It provides the amount of boost as specified by the factory but it does not provide optimal boost for the application.

"Does it not help with turbo lag issues while still providing the correct amount of boost?"

If you wish, you can think of the T-25 in NASCAR terms as a restrictor plate. The trade off for the T-25's fast response is that it's itty bitty and will flow no more. The same 4G63 motor comes equipped with either a 16G (JDM motors) or a 14B (USDM motors) For 99% of the folks out there the 16G is where it's at.

Wanna keep it stock? Look at this.
"Would a different turbo have gone alot more than 90k miles before wearing out the bearings?"

Never driven a mile on the T-25. Since 1993 I have had a 14B, two small 16Gs and a FP hybrid called Green. I had been running 17 psi or better on those turbos without any issues. The Green runs at 25psi but has only 15,000 on it. Some turbos have better thrust bearings than others. Those Mitsu turbos were all sold on the trader and were in good condition; I've never had a turbo fail but then I've never ran a T-25.

Reply to
Billy

Thanks Billy, thats some good info (alot better than the t25 sucks) I'm gonna give it a kit and see what happens. If anything goes wrong I will look into the options you showed me.

Shoe Salesman

i Have been following this thread and also have a question for you. Is the 14b a bolt on for a 2g?

How / what do you use to adjust the boost? A BOV is just a safety mechanism for the turbo, to control boost do you adjust the waste gate?

Reply to
Gorf

Follow Billy's link it the last post and it shows a kit to install the 16g on a 2G, it seems the 16 was stock on a 1G I guess..... It seams the only true bolt on is a T25 and a modified T25.....not really sure though.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

The 14B will bolt up to the manifold but the outlet is positioned differently and you have to adapt the plumbing. The 14B is a decent turbo, a big step up from the T-too small. Boost adjust is handled normally with a manual boost controller (MBC) that's placed in the vacuum line that goes to the wastegate. It allows you to bleed off pressure before it gets to the wastgate, keeping it shut and allowing boost to build past the factory setting. Before messing with this you need an aftermarket boost gauge because the factory gauge is crap. Lurking around at

and
will give you a ton of info. Just about everything has been tried and tested, you can learn from those who've been there and not have to waste time and cash reinventing the wheel. There are all kinds of specific groups but the three sites above will keep you busy for a long time.

Reply to
simpleton

The last link in Billy's post is to the modified t25 - sounds like just the ticket. Problem is $$$$, I have a 9 year old car with over 100K, not sure if I want to spend $599 on turbo, plus cat-back exhaust. That's why I was hoping the 14b (as a low cost alternative) was bolt on.......

Reply to
Gorf