Dead Instrument Cluster - Help ?

I am working on a 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage LS and it has no signs of life in the instrument cluster in the dash. The tach , speedometer, fuel gauge, ect, all are dead. I checked and all fuses are good. What other parts could be bad to cause this, or is it burn circuitry in the cluster? I don't know if my multimeter was acting up, but the car was reading 20+ volts when the car was running. Is this normal? I thought all cars were around 12-14 volts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
mr_mahoney

Correct. Read the battery voltage, engine off, should be around 13V if fully charged. If your alternator is really putting out 20V, you've probably fried something.

Take the alternator out NOW and get it checked / replaced. Don't even try to start the car until you do, unless you want to fry more expensive stuff eg engine and transmission computers.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

You might see 20 volts if the battery wasn't installed, and the voltage regulator was toast.

20 volts is definitely bad. Did you check that voltage at the battery?

What happened, to cause you, to start working on a 4 year old car.

If the car runs with out the instrument cluster, then at least you didn't toast the ECU.

I'd get that voltage under control first (or make sure your meter is working correctly)

Once your sure your meter is working, measure the battery voltage (with the car NOT running), at the battery. It can never be greater than 14 volts, by the laws of chemistry. To check your meter, measure a small flash lite battery, to see if the voltage reading is correct. Start the car and measure the voltage again. If it reads greater than

18 volts, stop the car immediately, You have at least two problems. 1, is probably a faulty battery, or a not correctly connected battery , 2, is probably a faulty regulator. 3. a wiring error or fault.

The regulator senses the battery voltage through a separate lead, attached to the "S" terminal on the alternator. If this lead is open, the alternator will output maximum current on a different lead, to charge the battery. It still should not put out 20 volts though (unless it is malfunctioning).

Reply to
Nirodac

Reply to
John S.