Engine RF emissions and street lights.

I've noticed something weird when I drive my 93 Summit Wagon (Mitsu Expo) at night. There's several SPECIFIC yellow sodium street lights near where I live, and it seems that nearly every time I drive past them (and never any of the hundreds of others), they shut off. My wife has noticed this too.

Maybe this is simply coincidence. but it seems too regular to happen by chance, and the city is very good on fixing broken lights. It's pretty odd (but obviously not impossible) for the SAME lights to keep on failing, but only when I drive past?

Does anyone know if some types of street light controllers are affected by RF? Engine RF is the only factor that I can think of.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Your car is not generating anything that will affect the lamps.

Under certain failure conditions (over current) the street lamps will trip a self resetting circuit breaker. This cuts the power to the lamp. When the breaker resets, the lamp starts up again, reaches the overcurrent state , then trips the breaker again. This cycle can repeat as often as once a minute, but usually longer.

Here's a test. Park your car at home, walk to the street lamp, and see what happens, does it still cycle. Call the city and tell them to replace the lamps. Or maybe it's your magnetic personality? just kidding.

Ray

Reply to
Nirodac

I agree RF would not affect the light's circuitry. I also agree with the other poster that there are safety circuit breakers that will cut the circuit if they draw too much current. Another possibility here is that your lights are triggering the dusk/dawn sensor circuit and shutting them down as well.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman