Gas Fumes from outside of 92 Laser

Ever since I bought this 1992 Plym Laser 2.0 DOHC, I've noticed gas fumes, a little stronger after a fillup when the level is up above a 1/2 tank, then noticable when cornering. It seems to be coming from the outside because its stronger when you open the windows.

Any hints on where to start looking? Mileage seems normaland no obvious leaks showing near the engine.

GK

Reply to
GK

Start at the filler neck and work down to the tank. There's a rust hole or a cracked hose there somewhere. May be rust on the top of the tank. Could be rusty return lines to the tank as well.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

There is a small plastic 1 way check valve in the vent line from the top of the tank that if it gets clogged, won't let the pressure in the tank escape so gas is forced back up and out of the filler cap. (this happened to me) The fuel pump is always pumping fuel to the fuel rail in the engine. What ever is not used returns to the gas tank but it is now warmed up and wants to expand. I overfilled the tank so much that liquid gas made it to this check valve through the vent line and clogged it. It doesn't clear out on its own. It's located on the side of the gas tank. If you remove the rear wheel on the side of the car that has the gas cap you should see the plastic check valve (about 1-1 1/2" in diameter and mine was light blue) right there on the side of the tank connected with 2 small black rubber hoses. Should only be a couple dollars to replace to see if it fixes the problem.

Sean

GK wrote:

Reply to
Sean