Good deal? Or should I trade??...

Just recently bought a 1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max that's in excellent shape but does have quite a lot of highway miles on it(118,000). Anyway, I got it from the original owner and there's no rust on it at all and the interior is spotless as well as the engine bay, no leaks. Anyway, I paid $700 for it and my buddy wants to trade me his 1994 Chevy Cavalier even up for it. The car has 96000 miles on it and is pretty clean but does have some rusting around the wheel wells. The truck is very basic and doesn't even have power steering but is very clean. Just not sure what to do as I know nothing about Mitsubishi trucks or how much parts are, how reliable, etc. etc. If anyone knows a little about one of these and if it's worth a trade-off(or a good keeper) I'd appreciate any pointers, good or bad. TIA!

Reply to
Robbo

I know nothing about the Mighty Max but I know Mitsubishi and 118,000 miles is nothing to worry about, especially highway miles. If the physical condition is as good as you say then it's been treated the same way mechanically and it will give you tens of thousands of trouble free miles if you keep up regular maintenance. With that type of care, I would also supsect that the water pump and the timing belt were changed out around

90,000 miles. It is very likely that the odometer will be turning over at least once more before it's finished. However, a rusted Chevy Cavalier with 96,000 miles is a recipe for trouble. You can forget regular maintenance at this stage and concentrate on a routine of regular repairs, towing, downtime and alternate transportation. The rust you see is only an indication of what you do not see.....yet. It is also an indication of the care the vehicle has been given, especially if the two come from the same area. A car shouldn't rust out in 8 years and if it wasn't looked after then I suspect that there are other mechanical things that have been left to wear themselves out rather than get maintained or even repaired once identified as bad. Chevy parts are somewhat cheaper than Mitsubishi parts but chances are that you'll be buying a lot more for the Chevy.

Bob Walker

Reply to
Bob Walker

Thanks for the reply, from what you've told me I've decided to keep the truck. It is in much better condition body-wise but the added mileage had me worried a little. The original owner of the truck kept all records and he maintained it very nicely. He did say the only trouble the truck gave him was the shifter fell off but that was covered under warranty and never gave him any trouble again. Anyway, thanks again for your informative response!

Reply to
Robbo