should I, or shouldn't I?

Been offered a /very/ tidy Merc 190E 2.0 Auto.. '87 D reg, don't know the mileage but it's bound to be starship, but like I care about that kinda thing ( points at 250000 mile Golf in garage)..

*Good bits*

Full unmarked black leather, headlamp wipers etc, sunroof, 'lecky front windows (one of which doesn't work), alloys etc.

New exhaust, timing chain, brake discs, tyres look a bit recent, and I believe it's a full history job.

Bloke flogging it is a total krautmotorophile, has a selection of S-classes of early 80's vintage, and a 730i on an E as well.

*Bad bits*

It's Gold. (but it's actually quite nice in an 80's retro kinda way)

The alloys are genuine mid '80s crosswire BBS jobs.

It's got the full AMG mid 80's bodykit, which I suppose could be worse, it could be an RGA one or similar.

£500. Taxed and tested for a couple of months.

Now, the question is, do I flog ye olde Alfa for £400 and buy the Merc?

The Alfa is a nice car [1], it's reliable [1], it's quick [1], it's bloody good on fuel [1], it's comfy, and it handles well [1] and is rust free [1+2].

I'm just in the mood for driving something 80's tastic, and I can't find a nice 3.0 Capri anywhere for similar money. Besides, I'm in the mood for leather.

So, sages of uk.rec.mods, chuck your advice this way.

I'm off to look at the Merc properly at about 7pm, so if you've got something nasty and constructive to say about Mercs, chuck it this way.

[1] for a big old executive 2.0 barge type thing. [2] even though it's Italian, I've seen less rusty 164s than 190Es.
Reply to
Pete M

Get him down to £250, and take it away. Drive it home the long way, and decide whether you like it or not. If you don't flog it in Auto trader for £500 (fix the window with Eurocarparts bits and put it in for more), and see what you can get back.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I quite like the 190E. Isn't it a four cylinder though?

Reply to
Doki

A 2.0 Merc is underpowered, especially compared to a 2.0 Alfa. I suspect you will be disappointed. Also Merc interiors suck. They don't take the miles well and split vinyl is common and the "leather" such as it is wears badly particularly if it is the perforated type.

Finally is anything quite as horrid as the 1970s teak style "woode" effect over-plastic coated, probably printed paper stuff that is used in Mercs?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I had an '89 190(note the lack of teh E) Auto for a few months and loved. It had one of the best auto gearboxes i've ever used and the brakes were brilliant, so progressive and full of feel.

Only thing i didn't like were the seats, i prefer to seat IN seats rather than ON them but i guess the leathers in yours would be better.

I'd have it.

P.S. Apologies for the excessive snippage but i fear SteveH may be watching ;)

Chet

Reply to
Chet

I'd keep the Alfa :)

Reply to
Dan405

In news:buh17f$gk19t$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-165560.news.uni-berlin.de, Dan405 decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I'm gonna have 'em both for at least a couple of weeks. Reminds me, if anyone wants the Golf, I need garage space..

Reply to
Pete M

You've been trying to shift the Golf for a while now havn't you :)

Reply to
Dan405

Just remind me (and everyone here).

This golf is wrong hand drive isnt it? Whereabouts in the country is it and how much were you wanting for it?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

In news:buh28j$hh8pu$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-165560.news.uni-berlin.de, Dan405 decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Hehe, I'm a petrol head.. Every car I've ever owned has always been for sale. There's too many cars I've not owned yet, so the ones I have at the time are always up for grabs. For example, I always fancy getting an XJ6 Series 3, S-Class, 7 series, Range Rover, 3.0 Capri, 24v Senator, 205 GTi, Mk2 RS2000, Mini, Opel Monza,.. etc etc. I'm on an eternal mission to find the perfect car, when I do I'll be monumentally bored of it within weeks and go looking for something with character. This Golf is the most sensible all rounder I've ever owned, it's quick, it's reliable, it's cheap to fix, great on petrol, not too bad on a run, handles great and can be parked anywhere. So I don't want it anymore.

Reply to
Pete M

In news:buh2hn$hi20f$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-176913.news.uni-berlin.de, Douglas Payne decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

It's in Liverpool, it's in my garage, it's in need of a valet and a service, the MOT runs out next month, the tax ran out last month, and it's yours for, oh I dunno, £75? and yes, it's left hand drive.

Reply to
Pete M

Hello Pete.

19 Jan 04 17:14, you wrote to Douglas Payne:

PM> It's in Liverpool, it's in my garage, it's in need of a valet and a PM> service, the MOT runs out next month, the tax ran out last month, and it's PM> yours for, oh I dunno, £75? and yes, it's left hand drive.

I'd gladly take it off your hands, but alas, I'm in the wrong country :(

Sergey

... "And God looked upon the earth, and He said, 'Oops...'"

Reply to
Sergey Vizgunov

shame it aint the 2.5 V6 like the ones i was looking at, stung on insurance though but i love the 190

good good

better be a loud exhaust hehe

sounds well looked after

nothing wrong with gold mate :)

bad, needs 5 spokes

cool drug dealer bodykit is good IMO :)

Reply to
Vamp

I'm with you on this one..... definitely going to look at the 164 I showed you last night.

192bhp V6 with all the toys and slush box :-)
Reply to
SteveH

In news:400c49b9$0$28130$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dial.pipex.com, Vamp decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

f*ck. It'd gone before I got there.

(which was 10 minutes before I was due to arrive.)

Bollocky Buggerwanks.

Reply to
Pete M

16 and a bit years old so you should be able to get classic cover for it, as long as it isn't your main car so I say go for it keep the golf and Alfa then consider getting a bigger drive.
Reply to
Depresion

In news:7SYOb.6788$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep4-glfd.server.ntli.net, Depresion decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

The Golf is on it's way to the big scrapyard in the sky I reckon.

I've found a quite nice sounding old '82 Merc 500 SEL for minimal money which I'm off to have a look at tomorrow. It's got cloth trim :-(. but it's V8 and sounds well looked after, recent timing chain and serviced regularly with OE bits. (He works in Germany) According to the geezer one of the front wings is "on the bubbly side", but he's throwing in a pair of brand new OE front wings. Could be worth the £400 he's asking. Fuel misers are scared of this kinda motor and it's got to be a proper classic soon I reckon. Prolly be a full on smoky ol' rot box though.

Classic policy on it as only car is £500 for 18000 miles, so this could be interesting.

Also off to North Wales to look at a 3.6 Jag Sovereign with full history, 12 months test and 4 months tax for £500. So I'll have a busy day with the ol' rot magnet.

Reply to
Pete M

In article , ljlulnlkl@sw54 spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Sergey, you might want to consider sea freight shipping. I know of a Russian gentleman who paid for a Skoda 120 Rapid (also called Garde I believe) to be shipped to russia.

Basically, all the paper work is sorted, Pete Drives it or has it delivered to the docks in question. It is hoisted onto a ship at one one.

Gets dropped off at a Russian port at the other, you drive it back to Moscow, or get it collected at the other. Relatively, not that expensive.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hello Pete.

20 Jan 04 02:07, you wrote to Depresion:

PM> The Golf is on it's way to the big scrapyard in the sky I reckon.

Awww....

Sergey

... BATF: Bureau of Assassins, Terrorists and Fire starters

Reply to
Sergey Vizgunov

Just wondering Pete - I remember a while back you mentioned having a trader's insurance policy that enables you to jump in to any car you fancy at any given time - are you actually a trader (or in the trade, i.e. run a garage or something), and even if not, is it possible to get trade insurance if you aren't, provided you're happy to pay the premium??? Just curious.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan