installing supercharger

What additional modifications should be done with a supercharger? I know an intercooler is a pretty good idea, but will the engine need rebuilt to handle all the pressure?

Reply to
justcurious

Depends on the condition of the engine at present. If the compression is good and even on all cylinders, AND the valve stem seals are not leaking oil is causing oil burning), then a supercharger (or turbo charger) can be installed with no real problems.

If the engine has done more than about 160,000 km, then you can do the install, but it won't last.

Ideally, a rebuild should include new oil pump, rings, (better) bearings and a head/valve service. Supercharged and turbo charged engines also usually have lower compression than an N/A engine eg about 8:1 vs about

9.2:1. This is to allow more fuel air to be compressed to bring up the compression to an equivalent of about 9.5:1. Put another way, a lower compression allows for more boost than a normal (eg 9.2:1) engine will allow. You can put in decompression plate under the head gasket, or have the combustion chambers milled out to reduce the compression. Another way is to put in dished rather than flat or raised pistons.

With std compression and no intercooler, you'll be able to get away with maybe 5psi boost. With lower compression and an intercooler, 7-15 psi boost is possible.

If you have a 4 cylinder, above is all very nice, but why not just get a Talon / Eclipse 4G63 2.0L DOHC turbo engine thats ready to go std with 195hp and 205 ft-lbs ot torque. What ever Mitsubishi you have (up to 2002 when the transmissions were changed and the engines rotated 18- degrees in the engine bay), it can be made to fit.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

gee, that depends on what motor you are considering boosting.

Reply to
simpleton

Let's say it is a newer celica or acura rsx.

Reply to
justcurious

Two engines not designed for it. You might get 10K miles before it grenades, but you need a low compression engine for decent power on a charger. Neighed of those are low compression. Of course they are FWD too and wouldn't ever be really fast.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Boosting on engines with either higher compression or cast internals is just asking for trouble. It can be done, and people will tell you that they've done it with no problems, but check back with them in a year or so and see if they're still singing the same tune.

With either of those two situations, air/fuel mixture is more critical, as is timing and fuel octane. Boosting the cylinder pressure on something with already higher compression puts undue stress on the internals of an engine. Superchargers are generally more gentle on the components from what I've read, but you're still skating on thin ice. 5 psi with an intercooler to reduce heat (and the chance for detonation) might be doable on your stock Celica/RSX, but it will probably still decrease life expectancy.

If you rebuild the engine for lower compression and use forged components (pistons and rods - crank if you can afford it and is available, I'm new to Japanese engines), and the block can support the kind of power levels that you're looking to produce, then I'd say yes, you can go hog wild.

JS

1997 Mustang Cobra (stock and *not* blower friendly) 1995 Eclipse GSX (stock and begging for more boost)
Reply to
JS

"If you rebuild the engine for lower compression and use forged components (pistons and rods - crank if you can afford it and is available, I'm new to Japanese engines), and the block can support the kind of power levels that you're looking to produce, then I'd say yes, you can go hog wild."

unless your talking about a motor that going to be ran very hard, stock internals will work. the GSX you have will run for years at 17 psi on oem cast pistons. things just have to be done correctly.

Reply to
simpleton

I was under the impression that the factory turbo cars had forged pistons just to prevent damage. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm still learning about this car - I just got it a couple weeks or so ago. My last adventure with a factory turbo car was an '89 Probe GT (Mazda), but I left it bone stock, so its internals didn't matter.

My opinion though is still that if you're going to rebuild the entire thing for lower compression, pay the extra couple dollars and get the forged internals. A little ping isn't nearly as disastrous with stronger parts. Tuning is *everything* on a boosted car though.

Nice to know that the GSX will support some more boost. The factory 2g turbo leaves a bit to be desired. The car has 117k on the clock now and still runs strong. I want to use it as a daily driver (AWD should be great in the PA snow), but with a little bit of fun on those long commutes.

JS

Reply to
JS