Metric Bolts???

Hi,

I am hoping someone can clear up some confusion.

On Christmas eve I was enlisted to try and fix the wipers on my ex wife's galant, about 7 years old. In trying to loosen the wiper motor I found a 10mm socket was too small, and an 11 mm socket was too big, same thing with a 7/16" socket and 3/8" socket.

It so happened I was able to try with both Husky and Snap-On sockets, in the metric size. If these cars aren't metric, what are they??

Any help appreciated. I've never seen half size metric sockets (it seemed that a 10.5mm would be perfect) do they exist?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Not to my knowledge. The wiper motor bolts are 10mm or 11mm on all the Mitsu vehicles I have now and have owned. Sometimes the bolts have the hex / phillips head, and were installed with a phillips tool. I've sometimes gotten around the problem of badly rusted 11mm bolts with a worn 7/16, rusted 10mm with a worn 3/8". There's also special multisize sockets with a group of spring loaded pins that depress to surround the bolt.

Mitsubishi are definitely metric all the way.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Hmmm....the 11 mm would "catch" but with any resistance the corner of the bolt head rounded off. The 10 mm would not go on...... the bolts heads were in fine shape, still cad or galv coated, no rust. Thanks for reply.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan