pajero SWB with metallic rattle at rear wheel

Just purchased a 1992 Pajero SWB - have noticed it has a metallic rattle at the rear wheel area on drivers side on an intermittent basis - could this be the wheel bearing or is it possibly a diff problem?? have looked at brakes which seem okay - was told it had passed its MOT only several days ago- any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Reply to
scottydog1960

"scottydog1960" wrote: > Just purchased a 1992 Pajero SWB - have noticed it has a > metallic rattle at > the rear wheel area on drivers side on an intermittent basis - > could this > be the wheel bearing or is it possibly a diff problem?? have > looked at > brakes which seem okay - was told it had passed its MOT only > several days > ago- any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated!! > Thanks

Hi scottydog,

I?m currently investigating the exact same problem on my Pajero (1999 SWB 3.0 GLX). I in fact logged onto the Internet to see if I can find the correct torque settings to refasten the alloy wheels. My investigations also did not reveal anyting - I removed the right rear disk (my metellic rattling sound comes from the right rear) and checked the parking brake shoes, etc. but everything was in order. I did clean our quite a bit of dust but doubt whether this will fix it. Let me know if you get an answer to your question, please.

Thanks

Reply to
gorman

"scottydog1960" wrote: > Just purchased a 1992 Pajero SWB - have noticed it has a > metallic rattle at > the rear wheel area on drivers side on an intermittent basis - > could this > be the wheel bearing or is it possibly a diff problem?? have > looked at > brakes which seem okay - was told it had passed its MOT only > several days > ago- any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated!! > Thanks

It turned out the cleaning of the dust didn?t fix the problem. I did however spoke to my Mitsubishi dealer and he said that there is a little plate attached to the caliper that start making scraping noises when the brake pads are wearing thin. This scraping noise serves as a wear indicator and is supposed to notify you that the pads are due for replacement. I hope for your and my own sake that this is the problem... I?ll be installing my new pads this week (Ferodo Premium)

Reply to
gorman